Author Topic: Utah Desingates the Model 1911 as their offical state Firearm  (Read 2585 times)

uncle buck

My good friend Mongojo passed this to me in an e-mail.. I always liked the Model 1911...

The 1911 was one of the most widely-produced pistol designs of the 20th Century
Utah has become the first US state to designate an official state firearm.

The Browning M1911 joins the state fossil (allosaurus), fruit (cherry), gem (topaz), bird (sea gull) and other symbols with official designation.

The gun was designed by Utah native John Browning. The law's sponsor said it symbolised freedom and empowerment.

Opponents said it was inappropriate to glorify a firearm, citing the January mass shooting at a congresswoman's constituent event in nearby Arizona.

The .45-calibre semi-automatic pistol was designed by Browning, who was born in Utah in 1855, to fill the US military's need for a pistol with stopping power - the ability to fell an enemy with a single shot.

It was adopted by the US Army March 18, 1911, and first saw action in combat with Mexican rebel leader Pancho Villa in 1916, according to the Browning Arms Company. It, and it's variations, was later used in World War I, World war 2, Korea, Vietnam, and beyond. The Model 1911, or pistols based on it, is still the choice of many of our military's most elite combat units.

Democratic Utah State Representative Brian King opposed the bill.

"When we are talking about a state symbol we would do well to come up with one that is more unifying than divisive and this is a very divisive symbol for obvious reasons," he told Reuters. "This is just a poor choice for a state symbol."

uncle buck

Re: Utah Desingates the Model 1911 as their offical state Firearm
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 04:08:15 PM »
Now what would be the appropriate firearm for Pennsylvania?  Maybe the Model 760 3006?????????or 35 Rem????

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 06:44:55 AM »
My vote goes to the CheyTac M200...408.....we could then change our motto to  "We like to reach out and touch you."  ::) ;D

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 04:00:45 PM »
Model 94 winchester

That 30-30 lever action probably took out more PA whitetails than any other.

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 04:15:30 PM »
Model 94 winchester

That 30-30 lever action probably took out more PA whitetails than any other.

That's what I started hunt'n with. :)
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."