Author Topic: August be the time to hunt SENG!!!!!!!  (Read 2520 times)

uncle buck

August be the time to hunt SENG!!!!!!!
« on: July 16, 2010, 08:43:16 PM »
Now if you want to get big bucks you need to hunt this stuff... August be the time to hunt it in Pa...

July 2010 Fur-Fish-Game Fur Market Report on page 52 highlighted that hunters or pickers will get $400.00  to $450.00 a pound this year..

I have a friend that hunts Seng...He goes to the top of the mountain...Also he said when you find what they call the SPICE bush...That is where SENG likes to grow... It does not like sunlight...So tall trees like th Tulip Poplar are also a good place to look..  I found some while hunting coyotes in the summer time: Here it is too...I found it where Tulip Poplar grow but it was not high in the mountains..
Just remember if your going to hunt SENG...there are laws like:  Now I think...I Thais to have 5 shoots on it's roots before you can legally take it. Your suppose to plant the berries too if you take the plants roots...Use to be 3 legs on the roots were legal.. Now the root has to have 5 legs.  So if you find one plant and it has one to 4 shoots on the root...You can not take it..You have to replant it and hope next year when you return it got the 5 shoot growth...  

Here we are trying to get a few bucks to buy ammo from our fur..When you can be going on a vacation each year around the entire world if you only hunted SENG!!!!!!!!
Below the picture is a link that will tell you a bit more about SENG. In your back yard is a week called Virginia Creeper...IT looks like Seng but of course it's not.. Findthat in your yard so you kind of have an Idea of what Seng lloks like...

http://www.wikihow.com/Hunt-for-Wild-Ginseng
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:45:45 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: August be the time to hunt SENG!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 10:11:50 PM »
I think that may be "jack in the pulpit"  not ginseng

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 11:07:26 PM »
Definitely not sang. My Father raised it and I planted some seed years ago in NJ. He was surprised when I brought some home some years later.  Tried some on my mountain a while back with no luck here.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 01:18:44 AM »
I have Jack in The Pulpit in my garden at home.. The plant green leaf  are all gone now since Jack in the Pulpit bloom in May to June. Berries are still green on the Jack In The Pulpit dried stem.  I suppose it could be debatable since the leaves are no longer present.. However look at the picture in the web link.  Looks like the same red berries that are in my picture.. Hence the reason I figure it Seng.. I did take this picture in September..

http://www.wikihow.com/Hunt-for-Wild-Ginseng
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 01:26:07 AM by uncle buck »