Author Topic: Thoughts on Posted Property?  (Read 3478 times)

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Thoughts on Posted Property?
« on: October 21, 2010, 10:58:18 AM »
Seems like property is posted everywhere today. No wonder we are loosing so many young hunters today.

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Thoughts on Posted Property?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 11:02:13 AM »
Posted signs are now the new state flower.
President PPHA

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
I hunt posted lands... In on some of them they are posted because the farmer who plants crops there wants all the deer for himself to shoot.  The guy does not even own the land he just farms it... So much so that I know one share crop farmer that even manipulates the widow who now owns the farm. Probably makes her feel if she lets anyone else hunt deer then he is history growing crops on her farm. Since he give her rent to use the land..

Sometimes posted land right next to a farm you have permission to hunt predators on is a blessing in disguise...No one is hunting the posted farm. If they are it's only for deer... Posted farms cause deer to core up... That brings in the coyotes.   A predator caller using his tool.. The call can call all of those predators from the posted farm to the farm your hunting on.

I lost a nice farm to hunt grouse and rabbits on once...I worked with the guy that owned it.. Someone did something that he allowed to hunt there...Their cure was to stop shooting on it totally no matter who asked to hunt.. He told me I could come out pick shrooms, hike it, take pictures, but since someone did some damage with guns no hunting is allowed ever on that farm...That's how farms get posted.

Offline beastman

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 02:36:05 PM »
It seems like most people around my end of the state post for deer season, I guess the thoughts of someone shooting "their" deer bothers them, who knows but it doesn't seem to be about slobs just greed.  I hear coyotes all summer long but I have one area next to me about 15 acres I can call from, that makes it tough sledding, maybe someday when those same coyotes have ate all "their" deer they'll rethink their greed and stop blaming the PGC.  Places where I hunted as a kid are all posted.  If I was 16 again I'd probably just say to heck with it and sit on the couch and play playstation also.

Offline stickbow

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 07:04:23 PM »
posted=

plenty of squirrel,turkey,even deer

If they are telling me there in there im gonna hunt them.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 09:10:04 AM »
I grew up on a farm and this is how it got posted....Doe season.... a group of sports who bought license, stopped at the mailbox pulloff next to our barn, having seeing a group of doe, cut across our backyard...They all bailed out right there...that got our collie barking and my mother to investigate.....she confronted an individual less than 25 yds from kitchen door ,who immediately told her she should get ahold of that damn dog....she had a better idea, she got ahold of the State Police and they shut that down right then...So my Dad posted and if someone came in and asked thay got permission and if they didn't thay got prosecuted..as in poaching...With the scum wandering around today who can blame them....

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 09:51:56 AM »
Posted signs are like thistle they keep spreading.A lot of the ground I hunted as a kid is now posted.Gobbled up by large hunting clubs with members willing to pay a couple hundred dollars a year for the privilege to hunt a couple of days.I wouldn't say its greed but almost a necessity for the landowner to help pay his taxes.Its a touchy subject and I will agree that in some cases they do have a good reason for posting but in a lot of cases it is simply the fact that the farmer feeds the deer all summer long therefore the deer belong to him.I could go on and on but just be RESPECTFUL of the landowner.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 11:59:23 AM »
My 2ยข

I currently hunt "Posted" property..the farmer has given me written permission to hunt it. Do to the help I've provided over the years around the farm I'm now considered family and so are my kids. I can take guests on the farm to hunt as I've proven my hunting ethics and impose the same on those I take along. Just because a property is posted doesn't prevent you from asking permission ??? A positive approach and willingness to spend some time on a property that you really want to hunt goes along way...but then there are the "NO WAY"!!  :o would they let you hunt and you need to accept that...often there is a circumstance that has lead to that stance such as the one Jaspr related...it takes time to heal those kinda thinkings...all I can recommend is go and ask...you maybe surprised in the answer, especially if you explain you want to hunt predators... ;D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 12:37:22 PM »
After the hunting season is over send all of the land owners you hunt a letter explaining what animals you harvested.. IT does not have to be written to each farmer but one that gives them some info on what you harvested last season.. Also include things that are unusual that happen to you on the hunt.. Many land owners look forward to the letter each year now.

Also remember them at Christmas time.. Send them a Christmas card... I have special Christmas card made with a predator on the card in one way or another..
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 12:37:49 PM by uncle buck »

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 03:04:19 PM »
Just being able to give something back to the landowner/farmer for the privilege of hunting on their property is more than most do.

Neat story.....
Was asked to go to a farm and shoot some hogs. When I got there another farmer saw me and asked why the heck I had so much fence mending material on the quad. After tell'n him why I did, he invited me to his farm to hunt and said "sure wished you lived closer to my farm". Me too !!!! ;)
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."