Author Topic: Any people on here been to Alaska?  (Read 3907 times)

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
Any people on here been to Alaska?
« on: May 20, 2011, 01:16:48 PM »
I am very seriously considering moving to Alaska next spring and was wondering if any of you people on here ever lived there or been there or has any tips or helpful information. At this point it will be only for a couple years so I can live out the dream of my life. If I like it up there it may be permanent.

Offline war_nrg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: Any people on here been to Alaska?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 04:29:24 PM »
worked up there for couple of weeks back in the mid 80ies.  lots of wildlife everywhere, bald eagles like crows around here.  i was there in may and it was full sun at midnight in anchorage.  got up as far north as Fairbanks.  it is beautiful and BIG.  the southeast, Juneau, wrangle, ketchican  are amazing.  don't think i would want to live there in the winter, not much sun.  if my memory is accurate only about 4 hours a day in Anchorage, best it gets is about 2 hours in Fairbanks.  Eskimos are very unique.
Cheers,
Bill

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »
Thinking of moving to Sterling or somewhere not to far off the coast. I will be sure to take a plane ride to Kodiak Island once I get my resident hunting license for Alaska...oh I love it...I love it...I have no clue yet what I will do for work, I have a wife and 5 month old son so that will limit the options somewhat. What did you work at war_nrg?

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 05:29:43 PM »
Why are you moving to Alaska? What do you expect?

Offline war_nrg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:31:32 PM »
I was working for a company from PA.  We had a few projects throughout AK that I was looking at,  I was scheduled to go up to prudo (spelling ?) Bay within the arctic circle but there was a blizzard (end of May) and all the flights were cancelled.
Cheers,
Bill

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 03:45:59 PM »
It's hard to answer you question foxpro. There are so many reasons I want to move to Alaska. The main things are to become a resident so I can afford to hunt grizzlies, dall sheep, moose, caribou, wolves, etc....It's also the last frontier to be explored and there is no limit to the adventures waiting to be experienced. I am 25 and if I don't go now, I probably never will except as just a tourist. It's the pull of the west foxpro...all I know to say.  I plan to live there for  just a couple years and then move back to be closer to family. I will miss my family a lot, but hope to find friends in Alaska. I will need to work though or I will deplete all my savings.

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 04:04:55 PM »
 GO for it. Good luck with your Alaska experience. It will be a huge change. I hunted brown bear up there in May 1996.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 04:08:48 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 04:46:40 PM »
Thanks

Offline predator1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 08:55:53 AM »
just saw this today-I,ve been fortunate enough to make 4 trips up and am heading back in Sept. for 2 weeks.flying into Kodiak then float plane 40 miles east to a remote island to do some work on some lodges.I,m no expert but have been to Sitka twice hunting blacktail deer-checked out the Iditarod last March-and spent 2 weeks working at a lodge on the Denali highway last fall.Alaska is truly the last frontier.I have a friend in Sitka and Anchorage and a few contacts in other areas.I love it up there and plan on going up at least once every year.E-mail me and I,ll give you my phone # if you want whatever info I can give.I have a small construction business and use an Alaska Air visa card for almost free flights.My boy and I go up this Sept. flying out of Newark-Seattle-Anchorage-Kodiak island and back and my total cost for both tickets is $25.00 plus some air miles.sheribeere@comcast.net     even if ya never move you have to visit it at least once-have a great day--yuha an anpetu waste--Lloyd Beere

Offline predator1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 08:59:47 AM »
e-mail address-sheribeere@comcast.net--don,t know why some of the info highlighted in red

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 11:33:45 AM »
I've had 2 friends work there and go to school for fisheries science. One was in fairbanks to get his masters in fisheries while the other worked close to kodiak island working on a salmon hatchery. He lived next to the lake that they raised fish in all by himself in a old '50's pull behind camper (the bare metal shell looking ones). Said there was no electricity, no running water, outhouse only, came to town twice a week to do laundry and check emails. He said he loved every minute of it. Here's the real question, how did you convince your wife to take your family up there to Alaska? I can't even get my girlfriend to move to northern PA, and we're both 26 and 29. I'll talk to my buddy and see if he's cool with me giving out his email you can ask him some ?'s
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 08:07:31 AM »
I have my eye on the Kenai Peninsula and would love to move there. Waiting on a phone number of a man up there to call. Hoping at this point to fly up in August or September for a couple weeks to check the area out and make some contacts even hopefully get a job. The hardest part of going is leaving the wifes family but thats all sweet talked over. I might email you yet, predator1, depending how I make out with my current plan. Tell  your girlfriend critterslayer, that there is a true saying that says "Don't push off doing something that you will later regret not doing" Thats why I am pushing for Alaska right now...its either move there soon, or I never will.

Offline predator1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
The Kenai is a beautiful area.Flying up and checking things out is probably the best thing to do.Here,s a link to anything you might need to know and great folks with good info for anything on Alaska.it,s where I made some of my contacts that worked out great for me.--alaskaoutdoordirectory    good luck and who knows maybe we,ll be in Anchorage in Sept. at the same time-lol---Lloyd