Author Topic: Another attempt at making a call  (Read 3092 times)

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
Another attempt at making a call
« on: February 08, 2009, 07:23:16 PM »
Made another hand call.
This one is made out of Purple Heartwood.....I really like the color of it, and think I'm gonna try some different designs out of the rest of the wood I have left.

THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Another attempt at making a call
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 07:31:47 PM »
Very nice. How do they sound? Where did you learn how to make calls and how long did it take?
President PPHA

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 07:51:27 PM »
Thank you...I think they sound great. Basically voiced with the same closed distress reed many call makers use.
I am still learning...I am lucky enough to have a good friend that builds calls and back around Christmas I asked him to make 2 for me to give as presents.
His reply...come over...pick your wood, and build them yourself  ;D
Well I made a crow call out of Chiro(I think its what its called) and a distress out of Osage Orange.
Both turned out rather nice (well in my opinion at least)

So I bought some wood of my own rather than scarfing his stock....lol

And he still answers my questions while I'm working, but he has all the tools and equipment.
This one took about 4 1/2 hours...but it was a grainy wood that required a good bit of sanding and finish.
Plus I was trying to help him with some stuff also.

The Osage Orange one I made for my father in law for Christmas, only took me about an hour....that sanded rather easily.

I'm not making these to sell or anything....just found one more thing to occupy my mind and I love making them. So figure they will make great additions to my collections and maybe add soem to a few of my friends collections that have helped me out since beginning predator hunting.
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 08:08:30 PM »
You have a very strong talent for fine wood working. I don't have the patience for that. Knowing myself, I'm sure I would have smashed it with a hammer about half way threw, after I realized it was starting to take the wrong shape. Excellent work!
President PPHA

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 08:16:09 PM »
Thank you....I do enjoy it.

My "teacher" said I was "way ahead of when he started" but he also had to learn his own mistakes..he didnt have anyone showing him the way..

I lucked out with him showing me what tools to use, pointing me in the right direction when I draw the shape I want it to take, he explains how to do it.
I think one HUGE thing is...he doesn't try and do it for me...he demonstrates how to do it and says...now YOU actually do the work.

Thanks Tim (I'll give ya your props  ;D)

Mutt  thanks again.
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 10:13:45 PM »
Shawn that is a sweet looking call .  Good job.
PPHA District 3

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 10:16:07 PM »
nice work buddy.....all its needs now is some field time. if it sounds half as good as it looks....you'll be pileing up the fur
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline mountainfox

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • '09-10 Bobcat
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 12:25:51 PM »
Great looking call Shawn, and its all the nicer knowing that you made it yourself!!

~mountainfox

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 12:37:18 PM »
thanks gentlemen
THIS IS SPARTA!!