Author Topic: Dan Thompson calls  (Read 2487 times)

Offline mattb191

Dan Thompson calls
« on: January 25, 2007, 02:45:25 PM »
Anyone use the Dan Thompson Red Desert Howler?  If so, how easy is it to use?   I'm not having any luck with mine right now and am looking for a change

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Dan Thompson calls
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 02:59:51 PM »
never used one but what is your problem is the pitch breaking in the middle of the howl.  or you are not getting any responses?  if it is breaking alot of times the airflow is not consistant.  or try holding the howler at a different angle.  alot of things about howlers there are not many that you can pick up and play the best tune with them the first time.  practice is the bigest thing with howlers.  any more questions let us know.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline goosehunter

Re: Dan Thompson calls
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 02:49:55 PM »
Quote from: "mattb191"
Anyone use the Dan Thompson Red Desert Howler?  If so, how easy is it to use?   I'm not having any luck with mine right now and am looking for a change

Never used one but I did Meet the man himself yesterday, Spent a little time with him talking calls. He is at the Harrisburg Outdoor show. Listened to him blow his red desert howler as well as his smaller calls, (not sure of the names right now) The red desert howler sounded great, Just like an old male to me. His next two smaller calls sound like a female ad a young pup.

Bob

Offline Tracker

• Senior Forum Member
    • http://www.huntnpa.com
Dan Thompson calls
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 05:00:27 PM »
Yes I have one.
I used the mouth piece and fitted it in a cow horn howler. I hear some people say they have trouble using the Dan Thompsons.  I love mine, its loud and has a deeper pitch from the howlers I make. The air channel in the tone boards I use in mine are narrower, it makes them very easy to use but gives you a higher pitched howl.

Aaron
hyp⋅o⋅crite: a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.
Synonyms: deceiver, dissembler, pretender, pharisee, phony.