Author Topic: Crosswind, Downwind, Upwind?????  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Ringtail

Crosswind, Downwind, Upwind?????
« on: January 17, 2007, 09:17:50 PM »
When you set up your stand for predators what way do you sit, Up, cross or downwind, and why?

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 09:23:32 PM »
alot depends on the terrain for me. wind dont always blow from the same direction obviously on a given peice of land...so one set-up will be at my back, and crosswind on the next visit.
i'd say to put it in numbers...
75% crosswind..from right to left...say 4 o'clock to 10 o'clock
20% from behind
5% i dont care...sometimes the wind just wont quit swirling and your out   there all ready to call...just call.
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline Ringtail

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 12:16:09 PM »
220-Woody, I like your answer. I mostly hunt sagebrush country with the wind usually at my back watching 180 degrees about 75% of the time and behind me maybe 25%.

If I'm night hunting in I pay alot of attention cross and downwind. Just last week I got busted in the day by this sneaky coyote that got downwind on me before I seen it. I don't get busted much, but that one got me.

I don't care how well you set up your stand or how long you've been predator calling, they are gonna get you now and then, that's what it's all about.. :D

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 12:42:15 PM »
basically the same as woody.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”