Author Topic: Grey Fox  (Read 2791 times)

Offline curious

Grey Fox
« on: January 15, 2007, 09:50:49 PM »
I am new to hunting the grey fox, and I would like to ask some questions.  Our setup consist of starting out the hunt right before dark.  We set up in the woods.  Several attempts have been made to call in a grey fox, but no luck so far.  We are camofloged.

The second type of hunt consist of finding a path or dirt road, placing the call by our feet and scaning with the red light.  Still no luck.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Offline Ringtail

Grey Fox
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 10:05:02 PM »
Gray fox are not as smart as a coyote, but neat little critters. Gray fox are much easier to call at night then in the day. At night camo is not necessary, not even necessary in the day if you don't move much. What sounds are you using? Are you sure gray fox are in the area?

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Grey Fox
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 05:42:37 AM »
Call'n Grey Fox....
Use Grey Fox Pup sounds
Keep behind red lens
Keep red light on at all times
Keep scan'n for eyes

Some folks say when call'n IN woods or brushy areas the light will cast a shadow and things won't appear natural to critters. You may be shook'n 'em.
This may not be the case because many a critter has be killed in the woods.
Many areas of the state, the best setup is the woods or on a log'n road or power line.
My guess why you had no response, the Greys are not there or weren't in hear'n distance or weren't interested.
Do you know Greys are there?

I do like to call at night, from a clearing or field, standing in the open, for the most part.
I scan the intended approach routes, staying behind my red lens.

Grey Fox are bringing $30-$33 at most fur sales.
Folks are hitting Greys hard this season and maybe your area has been called or trapped this late in the season.
Do some scout'n.

Offline curious

Grey Fox
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 03:30:36 PM »
sorry not to post to all messages, my question then  becomes this, how do you know that grey fox are in the area.  Wow,  we have tried thick cover and dirt roads that lead to brush. No luck.

We suspect the coyotes have somthing to do with our problem.

One day, we even had a guy tell us how he kills them at the same spot we just did a setup.

could it possibly be the time of year?  In the early fall, we hunted these creatures in fields and produced some reds.  but just started the greys.

We still have fun even with no luck, but would sure like to see somthing.

Offline Ringtail

Grey Fox
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 07:01:04 PM »
Coyotes well move Grays out of an area as well as Reds and if they catch them, they get eaten. A Gray Fox dominates over a Red Fox and well run them out of town if they see one.
I believe you are doing something wrong assuming the Grays are there. Best time for grays is night, but early mornings and evenings are ok too. How long are you staying on the stand? What type of call are you using? What kind of sound are you using?
Just because some guy says he calls Grays there don't make it so. Have you looked for fox tracks? Scat? You have the right idea by putting the call close at night so you can pick up eyes.
In the day, set the caller out in the open so the animal has to show itself. Herns advise of fox pups works good, try that if you can. Maybe a Gray Fox and Red Fox fighting.
What ever you do, don't give up and don't over hunt the area, Good Luck

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Grey Fox
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 10:35:45 AM »
try using the busiest sound you have.  if you go to western rivers and download the one grey fox pup.  I believe that it is 6 mins long.  It is a copy of the johnny stwert grey fox pup.  try that.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”