Author Topic: Season and bag limits  (Read 5843 times)

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Season and bag limits
« on: December 11, 2006, 06:10:43 PM »
Information Notice

Past years PPHA did not get involved, What about this year?

Board of Game Commissioners to meet on January 21-23
The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners will hold its first meeting of 2007 on Jan. 21-23, in the auditorium of the agency's Harrisburg headquarters at 2001 Elmer ton Ave., just off the Progress Avenue exit of Interstate 81 in Harrisburg. A copy of the agenda for the upcoming meeting will be posted on the agency's website in mid-January.
On Sunday, Jan. 21, beginning at 1 p.m., the Board will hear public recommendations for the upcoming hunting and furtaking seasons and bag limits. Doors will open at noon so that those interested in offering public testimony of up to five minutes may begin to register.
On Monday, Jan. 22, the Board will gather any additional public comments and hear Game Commission staff reports beginning at 8:30 a.m.
On Tuesday, Jan. 23, beginning at 8:30 a.m., the Game Commission will take up its prepared agenda to, among other things; give preliminary approval to hunting and trapping seasons and bag limits for 2007-08. Antlerless deer license allocations for the 2007-08 seasons will be presented for the Board to consider at its meeting in April.
Also, on Jan. 23, the Board will set its other meeting dates for 2007.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Hodgen

• Junior Forum Member
Season and bag limits
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 06:54:30 PM »
Although I will be out in California hunting in that time frame.
You got my support for having seasons on coyotes and a mandatory fur-taker license.

Hodgen

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Season and bag limits
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 08:36:33 PM »
They are going to set the seasons, start dates and stop dates of fur takers seasons. Is every one happy with the current start and stop dates?

This the part I was referring to
The Board will hear public recommendations for the upcoming hunting and fur taking seasons and bag limits.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Hodgen

• Junior Forum Member
Season and bag limits
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 08:45:51 PM »
Set your goals high brother!

Offline huntingisfun

• Junior Forum Member
Season and bag limits
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 09:19:22 AM »
What are the reasons for having a season on coyotes? I never thought to much about this subject, just wondering the advantages of having seasons on them?

Offline paul555

• Seasoned Forum Member
Season and bag limits
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 03:23:56 PM »
I don't see a problem with the current seasons.

Offline Hodgen

• Junior Forum Member
Season and bag limits
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 03:34:04 PM »
Why do we have seasons on Fox, raccoon, and bobcat?
Might as well add coyote to the list for uniformity if nothing else.
Besides, it would keep the harvest in the better fur time of the year.
Waste not....want not!

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
Season and bag limits
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 07:02:45 PM »
I think the reason for the liberal season on yotes is because the PGC finally realizes the problem with their exploding population. This is why, I believe, they are willing to give us what we ask for to hunt them effectively.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

BP

Season and bag limits
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 07:50:17 PM »
I think the liberal season and rules for coyotes is to appease the deer hunters who have plenty to bitch about these days.

Offline Hodgen

• Junior Forum Member
Season and bag limits
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 09:23:56 PM »
Trust me when I tell you.....recreational hunting of coyotes won't put a dent in controling them. I have hunted with some ADC guys out west and they tell me you have to kill 70% of a population just to stabilize it. Controlling coyotes pretty much went out the window when they stopped using poisons. The last somewhat effective methods they have are a combination of ariel gunning, setting steel, and INTENSE hunting using dogs.

Offline PREDATOR 10X

Season and bag limits
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 07:42:41 PM »
Quote from: "dreamcatcher"
I think the reason for the liberal season on yotes is because the PGC finally realizes the problem with their exploding population. This is why, I believe, they are willing to give us what we ask for to hunt them effectively.

Thanks Joe,Amen!!!!!

Offline slyfox

• Junior Forum Member
Season and bag limits
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 01:16:11 PM »
Quote from: "paul555"
I don't see a problem with the current seasons.

I have to agree with paul
IT AINT OVER TILL I SAY ITS OVER

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
Season and bag limits
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 12:39:23 PM »
I would not mind seeing the calling season  run alittle longer but also feel its good the way it is.
PPHA District 3

Offline Tracker

• Senior Forum Member
    • http://www.huntnpa.com
Season and bag limits
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 01:40:10 PM »
Quote from: "Buckwheat"
They are going to set the seasons, start dates and stop dates of fur takers seasons. Is every one happy with the current start and stop dates?

This the part I was referring to

The Board will hear public recommendations for the upcoming hunting and fur taking seasons and bag limits.

This has nothing to do with coyotes being added to fox/coon season, OR adding them to the furtakers lisence, this has to do with the start and end times of furtaking season.

I'm happy with the current furtakers hunting & trapping season BUT I was recently made aware that a trappers organization is pushing for a very short trapping season. That's fine, but since hunting(calling) seasons are in with the trapping season, that means the callers season will be VERY short also. I've heard the trappers want the season to start late Nov. and end early Feb.
If you look back you will see in the last two years we lost two weeks off the season. Last year the season ended a week earlier, and this year it started a week later.

I would like to see seperate seasons for calling and trapping. I would like to see two weeks added back on calling season.

Aaron Sparrow
hyp⋅o⋅crite: a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.
Synonyms: deceiver, dissembler, pretender, pharisee, phony.

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
Season and bag limits
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 07:10:47 PM »
Quote from: "Tracker"
I was recently made aware that a trappers organization is pushing for a very short trapping season. That's fine, but since hunting(calling) seasons are in with the trapping season, that means the callers season will be VERY short also. I've heard the trappers want the season to start late Nov. and end early Feb.
If you look back you will see in the last two years we lost two weeks off the season. Last year the season ended a week earlier, and this year it started a week later.

What trappers organization??  I would NOT support late Nov start and early Feb end.  Most trappers don't start until early November because of the fur condition in October, but they would like to trap later.  I can't imagine they would want a shorter season  :(

If you remember back a while, the season used to start the first week of Nov and end in late Feb.   I think when the fur price bottomed out, they pulled the start up into October due to the lack of furtakers.

I personally would like to see Nov. 1  thru  Mar. 31   More at the end, not the beginning.