Author Topic: shadows?  (Read 4803 times)

Offline archerobx

• PPHA Forum GURU
shadows?
« on: September 11, 2006, 10:29:31 PM »
I have permission to hunt a field that has tree tubes all over. It is a pretty decent spot.
My question is, would the shadows made by the tree tubes spook the animals?

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
shadows?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 07:48:27 AM »
What is a tree tube?

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Tree Tubes
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 10:25:47 AM »
I have hunted in fields with tree tubes and never thought it to be a problem unless maybe they are brand new.  I don't know why the animals would not get use to them just like anything else.  Good luck.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline archerobx

• PPHA Forum GURU
shadows?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 10:55:16 AM »
tree tubes are tubes that protect newly planted trees. They are 4 ft tall maybe a 5 in dia. green in color with a wood stake.

My concern would be the shadow that they cast because of the red light. I can turn it down real low. I thought  I read that shadows made by hunting lights spooked fox and yotes but I cannot find that article.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
shadows?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 06:03:30 PM »
that could create a problem, but I sure would like to hear your findings after you try it there...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
shadows?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 09:45:26 PM »
I'd imagine that if they are in the shadow,they could see passed the glare of the light,
and maybe see you or your movements, if they're in close

But if you're hunting in a field,and the pred is in the woods, comming to the call that is in the field,
 I,m sure he'll get shadows from the trees in the woods,
until he breaks the field anyway.

I don't think it would bother them until its a close range game

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
shadows?
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 05:14:59 AM »
The shadow question is good one.  I have often times wondered about that when hunting in the woods at night.  Your light bounces of every tree and bush when panning for eyes.  I have had much better luck hunting the edge of a field.  Could it be because of shadows?

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
shadows?
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 03:05:13 AM »
:shock:  :roll:  :shock:

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
shadows?
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 03:06:13 AM »
archerbox, I don't think 'tree tubes' have anything to do with it other than being a fixed object and casting a shadow or causing 'bounce back'.

TJ says-
Your light bounces off every tree and bush when panning for eyes. I have had much better luck hunting the edge of a field. Could it be because of shadows?
Most folks don't consider shadows and the subject is rarely discussed.
Yes your light beam does bounce back onto yourself and Fox/Coyote will spook when you are spotted...I have done this too many times and I am a slow learner. But after time I put 2+2 together on bouce back and adjusted my setups.
A member (EW) once said....
'Shadows will cause a Canine to spook if'n you are moving the light on an approach'n Canine.'
I have to agree and I had the same experiences. It's not natural. This is really holds true when using a white light. So keep your light trained on appoach'n Canine.

Offline Ringtail

shadows?
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 09:12:56 PM »
That's why I try not to hunt with a light during a full moon. It don't really seem to bother other animals that much except for coyotes.
Coyotes are very attentive to the smallest little thing and that includes shadows. They can also see you much better with a lot of moon, another downside to to much light.

If all you can do is hunt when you have lots of moon, go for it. It's sure better then not hunting and you can still pick up a critter here and there.

This may sound strange, but it seems an amber light works better with lots of moon light, don't ask why?

Offline Tracker

• Senior Forum Member
    • http://www.huntnpa.com
shadows?
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 10:16:04 PM »
This may sound strange, but it seems an amber light works better with lots of moon light, don't ask why?

An amber lens does work better picking up eyes on a bright night.
My lights have rheostats and the bighter the night the brighter I have to have my lights.
hyp⋅o⋅crite: a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.
Synonyms: deceiver, dissembler, pretender, pharisee, phony.

Offline archerobx

• PPHA Forum GURU
shadows?
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 10:13:38 AM »
I have hunted the edge of the tree tubes and called a fox in and it stopped at the tubes. I missed it.

I switched to the red lens. I have a western rivers light and it also has the retro static switch but the amber seemed to bright. I liked it I could see alot more but I was afraid it was to bright.

Offline Ringtail

shadows?
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 11:25:54 AM »
archerbox, were you hunting by yourself? If so how is your light set up? Is it on your rifle or hand held?
Even if I'm using a red light I halo the animal, same should be done with amber and white lights.
I've tried rheostats and didn't much care for them, probably because I use custom made lights that are red and amber all in one light and only about 100,000 cp.

Offline archerobx

• PPHA Forum GURU
shadows?
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 09:49:30 PM »
by myself.  90% of the time by myself.  I hold the light in my hand and when I go to shoot I have it so I can hold the bi-pod and light. Still working on a more efficent method.

With the red lense I dont use the switch. I try to halo them but sometimes I get excited and shine the light right on them. Luckily they were just coons.

Amber is a bright light. A few years back NFPA code 19, I believe for Fire Dpet apparaus specs, blah, blah. Any way when you build a fire truck it has to have an amber light, beacuse it can be seen threw smoke, fog and dust on logging roads.

Ringtail do you have a website to look at your lights? How do you have yours set up?