Author Topic: use of lights  (Read 3526 times)

Offline ysp1503

• Junior Forum Member
use of lights
« on: April 23, 2006, 09:12:09 PM »
can anyone out there tell me what is legal as far as lights go for hunting predators at night here in PA? was told that a light mounted to a rifle using a factory mount is illegal, but one could use tape or some other means to fasten a light to your rifle, and that would be OK. can anyone tell me if this is correct??  Thanks

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
use of lights
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 09:30:43 PM »
hand held, head mounted, tripod mounted...

no... nothing mounted or attached to the gun at all...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline goosehunter

use of lights
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 08:52:10 AM »
Have also heard of alot of people that mount the light to a piece of old broomstick, then hold the stick under the forearm of your gun while shooting.

Just remember to keep the foxs eyes in the halo, until time to shoot.

Bob

Offline RickLF

use of lights
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 07:59:32 PM »
Quote from: "goosehunter"
Have also heard of alot of people that mount the light to a piece of old broomstick, then hold the stick under the forearm of your gun while shooting.

You can also use a camara stand (tri-pod) to hold your Light while your shooting, some Hand held lights (Lightforce)have a Ferrel on the bottom to fit the stands.......and we have other Holding Divices also........

RickLF
Your South Florida LightForce Dealer At:

www.tufflights.com

www.toughlights.com

E-Mail: Rick@tufflights.com

Offline jimneye

use of lights
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 02:37:15 PM »
Does it really matter if I use a red lense?  Can I keep the animal in the halo of a white light until ready to shoot?  How does this apply to fox and  coyote?
I would like to offer the services of my God given talent to anyone who has anything they need lost or broken.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
use of lights
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 02:53:05 PM »
it is easier to spook a critter without a red lense
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Tracker

• Senior Forum Member
    • http://www.huntnpa.com
use of lights
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 04:56:17 PM »
You can use a white light, but like Ben said you can spook them or have them hang up.
hyp⋅o⋅crite: a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.
Synonyms: deceiver, dissembler, pretender, pharisee, phony.

Offline Ringtail

use of lights
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 08:11:15 PM »
If you are lighting an area with a gun mounted light, won't that be a little hard aiming the light with the rifle?
Would it not be better to use a hand held light, being able to move it more freely 360 degrees. Better yet, have a partner lighting for you?
I understand coyotes and especally bobcats can be light shy at times, they say that's why it's always best to halo even with a red light.

As you can see I'm a Ringtail Cat and I'm totally nocturnal, so I need to know all about these things... :wink:  :D