Author Topic: night hunting 101 by Leonard...  (Read 4750 times)

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
night hunting 101 by Leonard...
« on: February 17, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
night hunting part 2...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 03:23:08 PM »

Offline Ringtail

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 09:25:03 PM »
I went to High School with Leonard more then 45 years ago, Hunted against him in compition in the 1980s and 90s. Leonards lighting article is very good and well give anybody the basic information needed to hunt the night shift.

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 09:39:32 PM »
good read Dale, thanx for sharing with us!
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 06:45:44 AM »
RockFish...you lost me when the author stated-
The man with the light knows where the animal is going, and will be aware of the best opportunities for a shot. Until then, the shooter is just a casual observer
I tried this method years back and didn't care for it.
If hunting with a partner, we both have have our own lights and scan'n more ground. Hence, seeing more critters, seeing critters faster and shooting mulitiple critters.
Bottom line...I hate hunting without a gun, it's kick me in the face a few times.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 11:37:19 PM »
I hear ya Hern... thought about that myself, but there are some stands where Jay and I go out with only one rifle, but we're both spotting...

Offline Ringtail

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 07:26:34 PM »
Hern, the method Leonard is talking about is a specialize way of predator hunting at night, but the basics are the same.
The only way you'd know about this method, you would have to of lived in southern California and belong to the CVCA.
What Leonard is saying is the lighter is higher then the shooter ( maybe 9' off the ground ) so the lighter sees more and knows what the animal is doing vs what the shooter sees. In most cases the shoother is 7' off the ground.
I told you it was a specialize way to hunt, legal in California, Nevada, Texas and New Mexico and a few other western states.
In the right area, the results of this method can be awesome when it comes to animal counts.
Like I said, I'm sure Leonard was just trying to give the basics but I'm sure he confused many by doing so because you don't know how he hunts.

Offline George Ackley

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 09:46:23 AM »
I am not disagreeing with you light working on stand I am a firm believers in what ever works for you is the way to go.

But I could never work 2 light  simultaneity on a setup.
First, I call with my light off so I wouldn't wont another light to come on when I am working the call.
 If both the caller and the shooter are working lights . I don't feel  there is a lot time to be putting lights down to shoulder you gun when the target makes a show.   I  think that just the movement of 2 beams of light working and bouncing shadows would be more then coyotes and a cat's would like.
I call from the ground and from my high rack and in each case I like the trigger guy to be following my light with his eyes and his gun at the ready he don't need to have his gun  at his shoulder but real close. this like i said from my rack or the ground.
As for the guy with the light seeing things that the shooter can't see ,
I will never set up and work the light if the trigger guy cant see every thing i see . :D  I stand or sit just over his shoulder , truck or ground. the purpose of the light is to hide caller and shooter from the target by us being lost in the beam. As they look at the sound of you call they are looking in to the light and any movement will be hidden by the light.
That is what i don't like about working 2 light if your hunting near each other i would think that 2 lights would light each other up.

The way i like to work a set up from high rack or ground with the shooter being a gun hunter is to be just over the shooters shoulder i will call  for a length of time with my light off, then in  my brakes from calling i will turn my light on and work it 360 degrees , The hole time the shooter is following me with his eye's and shoulders.
if i pick up eyes i will shut the light off and lip squeak to give my shooter time to get ready and direct him on target in case he mist the eyes. now that i see he is ready i will turn on my light  and start to call with the light on to get it as close in as i can for a good shot .
 Coyotes are shot at when the shooter has a good shot to take ( when he is comfortable he shoots) but cat we will get really close before the shot under 40 yards or closer (depending on the shooter comfort zone again.) i think cats are taken away in a dream land by the light sometimes and will get right in your lap if you let them. :D

but like i said what works for you is your best bet.

George
LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR

Offline Ringtail

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 07:26:11 PM »
Humm, I only hunt with one light myself ( a flipper light ). You got a shooter and a lighter, that's it. It's easy, fast and deadly at night.

The lighter spots the animal, the shooter gets on it and it's over. Once the shooter gets on the animal, it usually takes only 2 or 3 seconds.

Offline George Ackley

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 07:55:52 AM »
One thing I like to say about when I do see eyes in my light. If the shooter picks them up
as soon as I do I will stay on it for the shot. But if the eyes aren't seen by the shooter or if they are out  far  I will continue my sweep right by it,
If its close and the shot can be made i just move back to the target by this time the shooter is one target and the shot is taken.
If time is needed or the target is far out I will continue my sweep looking for more targets then turn my light off and lip squeak till shooter is on target or the target is now in working range.
bobcats can be seen way out there and most of the time work there way in slow . when i see a cat i just keep working my call and light and pay it no mined till he gets close i don't burn him the hole time he is working his way in (forget the cat and )keep working your light looking for more targets most of the time the cat will keep approaching ya.
coyote will be shot at as soon as they are seen out to 100 yards , i myself don't play with coyotes see them shoot them is what i think.

I will do as many dry runs with the shooter as I have to before we even get in the field so the shooter  knows just what to do and what to be looking for.
yes I think  when it all comes together it should be a 1 to 3 secant shot once the targets it seen.

Since i am a bow hunter also every think changes in my setups from the rack and ground

Offline Ringtail

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 06:13:02 PM »
GA, I never turn the light off of any predator once it's lit up. Cats can be more light shy then all the rest, so that halo is very important.

If I have more then one animal coming in, I'll burn the easiest one for the shooter, mark the spot good then go after the next animal.

When it gets real tough is when you have 4 or 5 animals down and more are coming, you got to remember where they all are. That's happened to me a few times.

Hunting in different parts of the country and different terrain has a bunch to do it. Hunting a different way 90% of the country don't know about or can't do, also has alot to do with it.

That's were Leonards night hunting essay comes in. Problem is it don't fit the rest of the country, but again stIll gives the basics.

I believe Leonard told me the best he ever did was 18 animals on a weekend. Not bad by most standards but not very good by the standards he's telling you about.
Leonard and I have both have witnessed 45 coyotes Checked in on about a day and a half hunt. So what he is telling folks works and works good.

Offline George Ackley

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 08:43:16 PM »
By no means do i disagree with Leonard, he is on the ball, And i agree with what he writes
we all been doing this for years and years and i think we don't differ much in my case anyway. We all have are Owen tweaks to are stile on working light and setups .

the most impotent thing to me is keep my eyes and ears open to what others have to say
i am one for learning new tricks from others. if they work that's grate if not all you loose is a little time on stand of witch there are 1000's more stands to be made

my best weekend was last year in south Texas 2 1/2 days we took 17 coyotes and 4 bobcat and 3 coons and also a couple  targets of opportunity -4 javelin and 1 hog.

I do know we all have are tricks &  style to the game and after 30 years of doing it i am still taken advise from anyone that looking to give it.
I always try to read what ever the callers on here that are also advet trappers on this site have to say.  And think there is so much a caller can learn from trappers that will help in my calling .
 so i am like I said always ears open

George

Offline Ringtail

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 10:36:53 PM »
Me too. :wink:

longhair

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 11:08:30 PM »
Thanks gentlemen, great stuff, now to apply this knowlage. I'm still learning ,but I still like to listen to the people who have been doing this  for some time and try to gain some of their wisdom.