Author Topic: Coon hunt  (Read 2475 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Coon hunt
« on: February 17, 2012, 04:19:33 PM »
Went out the other night since the weather was nice and had a coon approach slowly through a patch of woods.As it got to the edge of the woods and the full beam of the light hit him he seemed hesitant to go any farther.After a couple minutes of milling around he started back into the woods making a retreat.I wasn't sure what turned him off so I thought I would try something.I dimmed my light and changed sounds and instantly he came running out of the woods making a beeline right for me.I feel the light was to bright for his liking.What do you guys think?

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Coon hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 04:27:56 PM »
I'd agree

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »
Aaa but you may never know if it was the light or the sound because you changed two things at once on the stand.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:35:19 PM »
Foxtrot,
Did you ask the coon what was up before you pulled the trigger on him?

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 09:47:20 PM »
I didn't think to ask.All I know is it worked.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 05:41:24 AM »
Buckwheat is right though, if this were an experiment, there would be too many variables to support a reasonable theoretic outcome.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »
Knocked the lights out of a coon last night. Started calling using lip squeaks before shattering the night with my fox pro. I picked up a a fox coming in above me and circling downwind. Unfortunately he was on the top of a hill with no backstop for my bullet if I shot so I just ignored him and then caught some eyes approaching off to my right and below me. I lip squeaked a few more times and he came charging in. I missed the first shot but sure made him growl savagely the 2nd shot. I use a night light 21 volt battery pack with an amber lense for my spotting light and a 250 kill light to close the deal. The light (s) didn't phase the coon...not sure why he loved my lip squeaks unless he thought it was a girlfriend calling him.