Author Topic: Does mounting a light affect accuracy?  (Read 3013 times)

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
Does mounting a light affect accuracy?
« on: October 18, 2011, 04:19:38 PM »
If you mount a light under your barrel does it affect accuracy when you shoot? Or maybe I should ask if it affects where your gun shoots after you have it sighted in. If I am dead on at 100 yards and move my kill light from one gun to another should I be making sure the gun I move it to isn't affected? Someone told me it will (can) change where the gun shoots. This year will be the first year for me to not use just a hand held light or a light on my hat. I am hoping that it makes it easier for me to have the light under the barrel but the accuracy issue has me a little concerned.  thanks for any info

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: Does mounting a light affect accuracy?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »
Mount it and shoot it. Then you will know. I have mine on my barrel and love it there.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 06:47:32 PM »
Now me I attach the Kill Light to the top of the scope... I don't even need an illuminated scope when I do this... this allows me to use my 22250 with a 3 X 9 40 MM Var X 1 Leupold or my Savage 24V  for coyotes.  Like Buckwheat commented:  Try it on the barrel and try it on the top of the scope.. See which one you like the best..

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 09:33:56 PM »
Barrel mounting threw my POI off 4-5 inches in 100 yds. But thats just me on one of my rifles

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »
Yes, it does in most rifles. That is why the majority of rifles barrels are free floated today. Nothing touch the barrel. When shooting at two eye balls at night accuracy is a must.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:58:09 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 06:43:52 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help, wish I had more time to play around with my guns. Was hoping to do it the easy way. Looks like I won't be hunting till I get some time at the shooting range. I would rather be late starting to hunt than hunting right away and missing or wounding some critters.

Claybird

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 10:10:17 PM »
never hunted eyeballs

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:39:26 AM »
Eyeballs are my preferred target. No tracking a hear or lung shot coyote that way. I always identify my target of course, but the eye is where I have a habit of putting the cross hairs when its time to shoot.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 08:32:02 PM »
each gun is different and should be shot after making an adjustment such as adding metal to the barrel.  and i agree, identify and shoot between the blinkers.