Author Topic: Which Foxpro to buy  (Read 6394 times)

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
Which Foxpro to buy
« on: January 01, 2011, 02:08:03 PM »
I am limited to sounds since I only have a Power Dogg.  I know many of you use a Foxpro.  I want to use sounds for fox at this particular time and I have no fox calls.  Which model do you recommend?

Yesterday while in a tree stand, I heard a strange sound I never heard before.  It sounded like a weak fox bark, immediately followed by a whimper. (almost sounded like a cat meow)  To my left below me standing on a tree log, was a squirrel.  He was there for about 20 minutes while I had the Power Dogg blaring the woody.  Squirrel did not know I was above and seemed relaxed on the log.  
However, once that strange sound I mentioned started, that squirrel seemed to get pretty nervous and headed towards a tree to climb.  I thought maybe the sound was a female fox who either saw me and was making sounds, or it was calling for its mate.  

I just listened to a Fox pup sound on the Foxpro site, and the Fox Pup distress was the closest thing I could find to the sound I heard.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 02:09:04 PM by Whitefeather »
Chris Deckard  District 2

Offline ultramag

• Junior Forum Member
    • NEW YORK PREDATORHUNTERS ASSOC.
Re: Which Foxpro to buy
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 03:44:30 PM »
Get a Fury...........cause if you dont,you'll wish you did.

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 03:47:56 PM »
Yea that looks like the one to get.  Just dont like the $600 price tag.  I think it says it comes with 100 calls.  Can you choose the calls they send with it?

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 04:38:47 PM »
i have the spitfire and its done just fine by me thus far

Offline bdawg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 05:13:39 PM »
i bought a fury and i love it, i also have a power dogg and it works just fine.
district #1

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 05:18:28 PM »
I have a scorpion that came with 100 calls, and I was able to pick what I wanted. It has worked well for me so far.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 05:43:44 PM »
The Power Dogg for me was a waste of money.  It is inconsistent when it works.  You definitely need to hang it from tree if distance is over 10 feet.  And even than it is temperamental.  Why just now I was out, it was sitting on the ground 10ft from my 1 o'clock and it wouldn't shut off.  I was pressing the crap out of the button and it wouldn't shut off.  I almost threw it as far as I could and would of dumped a couple rounds into it.  I hate that F@#%&** caller.

I am afraid to spend more $$ on a caller and to have that be just as temperamental.  I think I would go postal if I spent $600 and had the same problems as I do with the Power Dogg.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 05:46:12 PM by Whitefeather »

Offline bloodhound

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 05:58:37 PM »
I have a scorpion that came with 100 calls, and I was able to pick what I wanted. It has worked well for me so far.
That is/was a great investment ...   Now if we can get a dog to cooperate  ;D

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 06:51:54 PM »
I have the fury but think the spitfire will do just as well for a lot less money.

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 08:04:39 PM »
Sounds like you need fresh batteries in your Powerdogg.....Even my Foxpro FX5 will do that once the batteries get weak. Could be either the remote batteries or the caller itself..

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 08:29:31 PM »
Since I am into calling I have quite a bit of the electronic callers.  Love the Powerdogg...That is one coyote calling machine..Quite a few people on here own them too and they have called in coyotes... When I do go specifically for coyotes I take the Powerdogg and leave all others at home.  Not to say that the Foxpro FX5 won't call coyotes.. I just like how the coyotes do respond to Randy Anderson sounds.. If he says it's the Female Invitational call that's what it is.. If he says it the coyote Challenge it sure is, If he says it's the coyote pup it that too.. using these sound in a coyote calling scenario does work here in Pa..

Before anyone does buy numerous callers and even the expensive ones you should ask yourself am I hooked on predator calling?  you could always sale the cheaper ones as you move up as some do..Me I hold on to my callers, cassettes, CD's and use them for different purposes.

If I was new to predator calling I would buy the $199.00 Spitfire..  I don't own one but have hunted with people who do own them and they are a nice caller for all of the predators and vermin in Pa.

Sadly....more and more people in certain areas of the state are owning the same electronic callers... Make sure you load SOME of  your OWN sounds to these callers so predators don't get use to hearing all of the same sounds all the times... That's why as the season progress it might be good to pull out of one of the other sounds on (Cassettes, CD, or Modules) out of MOTHBALLS and use it.

Offline ultramag

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »
Yea that looks like the one to get.  Just dont like the $600 price tag.  I think it says it comes with 100 calls.  Can you choose the calls they send with it?

yeah thats a big hit but they are pretty much the best there is,I havent used a spitfire yet so I dont know how they operate.Did you look at the firestorms aswell?

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 06:44:12 PM »
I bought an FX5 for $685 and it only came with 50 sounds and none of the new foxfade and sequence programablity that the newer ones do. They hold their value and if you ever wanted to get rid of it you will most likely get most of your money back.
FayetteNam

Offline ultramag

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 09:28:31 PM »
Wow,I dont remember the FX5 ever costing that much..

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 09:42:19 PM »
It was $675 from allpredatorcalls plus $10 s/h. I forgot about the playing 2 sounds out opposing speakers. I think the fury is the fx5 with most of the kinks worked out.
FayetteNam