Author Topic: Who started this club?  (Read 6373 times)

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Who started this club?
« on: September 03, 2009, 01:55:29 PM »
It would be interesting to see who started club? Who was the orginal officers? What was there first event. Dates it was started etc. Thanks

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Who started this club?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 02:01:06 PM »
THanks i think that will be a positive thread.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 02:04:33 PM »
I am in the process of trying to find out who the founding fathers were earl.  I have contacted one of the orginal guys that started it and am waiting to hear back from him.    ;)
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 02:20:45 PM »
I think it was Daniel Boone. LOL He always wore a coon skin cap.
President PPHA

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 05:31:54 PM »
Good question foxpro 51 I was wondering the same thing.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 07:26:14 PM »
Ben Smyser has been asking me questions about when the PPHA Club started.  I was holding off telling him when and were until I had all the information possible. Bob and I each have more information in or old computers stored away and are unwilling to try and start up again. So this is as good as it my ever get.

Well there was a meeting at the Norristown library in the early part of the year in 2002
This meeting was the first get together face to face for the club and we talk if there was possibly enough interest to start a club. There was Scott Latshaw, Bob Bopeck, Tim Tipton, Ernest Wilson, and at lest one other fellow was there, neither Bob nor I can remember his name. Maybe he will read this and we can confirm who he was. This meeting went ok and it was decided there was enough interest to have another meeting. At this next meeting people offered to hold positions and keep minutes. Later I became the first chairman of the political committee and we started changing laws for the betterment of our sport. The first one was no florescent orange.  PPHA members and there officers worked hard for the first change especially since it was a new path by any of us. I hope this information helps, if not sorry there will be no more unless someday Bob or I open are old computers, but don’t hold your breath.
Ernie

First official meeting minutes

On the afternoon of 7/14/02, the first formal meeting of the Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association took place. A good turnout of die-hard predator hunters was recorded. Orders of business were as follows:

Election of officers to a two-year term;
President/Treasurer- Bob Popek
Vice President- Scott Latshaw
Secretary/Club Spokesman- Tim Tipton

An events planning committee was established with the following members being chosen to be involved; Scott Latshaw (Chairman), Ernie Wilson, Jim Monko and Bruce Althouse.
   The following items were assigned to the committee for action;
1.   A membership drive and cookout for August (possibly one for the eastern part of the state as well as one for the western part of the state)
2.    The possibility of swap hunts between districts.
3.   Presentations for Sportsmen’s clubs youth day events throughout the state.
4.    The possibility of raffles with possible prizes such as guns, calls and predator hunting trips.  

Other matters discussed were:
   The setting of membership dues. The membership term is to run September to September, with yearly dues as follows:
 Adult membership with a year’s subscription of Predator Extreme Magazine ($14.95 value) -$25.00;
Adult membership without magazine-$20.00,
Youth membership, Ages 12-17 (With adult membership, No voting Privileges)-$10.00

The setting up of nonprofit status for the club.
   Liability insurance for the club.
   Web page set up and maintenance, costs involved as well as other options.
   The set up of a permanent mailing address.
   The start up of a checking account for the club.
   Interaction and responsibilities between officers and membership.
   The need to publicize the club and encourage membership growth.
   The need to introduce ourselves to other sportsmen’s clubs and develop strong political representation for our group to the state.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:29:03 PM by Buckwheat »
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 08:42:17 PM »
thank you mr wilson.   :)
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »
Interesting,Thank you for sharing and helping to start this madness.

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 09:01:23 PM »
Ernie...thank you...thats some neat stuff
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 09:40:29 PM »

Well if is was not for Bigben bugging me this may never have been printed. So do not forget to thank BigBen for asking me a month or so ago for this information.
As you can see Jim aka Unclebuck and I are the only charter members left.  Bob still keeps fond memory's of some of the good stuff he was involved with though.  There were two other guys Russ Felman and Brad Hummel that helped a lot in the earlier times in this club. Tom Monko as president would be about as far back as most of the newer guys can remember in this club I would bet. I can remember when Mike Dillon was one of only two members in his district. Bob asked him if he would put flyiers in his calls he sold in Pa. so we could get some advertising. Mike stood in a booth a cross from the PPHA booth at a trappers convention selling his calls in a old horse barn. He has been a PPHA member from the first time he was ask if he would join. So he might be one of the longest member in the club.  Just thought you guys might like to hear a little more.
Ernie

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline PaCoyotenut

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 09:59:13 PM »
 I'm not at my home computer right now, so this is off the top of my head without me digging thru my old papers and check book register for accruate dates.

First off I'm almost 100% positive it was the Tredyferein (sp?) Township Library in King of Prussia, not the Norristown Library. Second there was more than one other member there because both me and my brother were there also. I actually thought Bob P. organized the first PPHA get together out at the State park near Harrisburg before we even had that first meeting at the library in King of Prussia?

The very first actual guy who came up with the idea for the PPHA was a guy who I believe went by the name "Shorty" on Predator Masters. He held a hunt or two up around the Pocono area,but after that nothing materialized. That's when Bob Popeck picked up the reins and ran with it and got the club up and running.

"Tracker" (Aaron S.) has pictures of Bob P. and us ( the first charter members) at the first hunt we ever held up at his place in Pike county. This hunt was put together at the second or third meeting we held at the Library.

If I get a chance to dig up some more info, I will. My home computer crashed so it is not real conveniet to get on the Net right now.

Mike

Offline PaCoyotenut

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 10:12:29 PM »
As you can see Jim aka Unclebuck and I are the only charter members left

Oh really?  Ernie are you losing your mind or just conveiently forgetting things? (My membership did run out in June, two months ago but I fully attend to re-up my dues within the next couple of weeks. Been a member since day one!)

Mike stood in a booth a cross from the PPHA booth at a trappers convention selling his calls in a old horse barn

Oh yea, the Trappers convention at the Port Royal Fair Grounds. You talking about that one? The one where me and my brother also hung out at the booth for a few hours also back then.

*PACOYOTENUT* !

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 10:13:12 PM »
Mike you may have pictures before the club was formed or between the narristown meeting and the election meeting. Can you show me meeting minutes that say other wise. I went through this with you before if you remember. But the first meeting was at narristown library and you were not there so how would you know other wise. The information listed is the actual copie of the first meeting minutes. Hard to change that information.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 10:18:42 PM »
Mike before you lay an egg,
So he might be one of the longest member in the club.

I never said he was just possible. but now that you dropped out he might be.
Ernie

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 10:19:23 PM »
WOW, thanks for the info that's interesting. Turn out to be a pretty good club.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:27:47 PM by foxpro51 »