Author Topic: hanging bait for yotes and fox?  (Read 8856 times)

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
  • There aint no such thing as too dead...
hanging bait for yotes and fox?
« on: November 07, 2011, 06:09:11 PM »
This may seem really dumb but I had this idea while daydreaming in class today. I thought about taking some sort of dead animal carcass such as a chicken or rabbit and hangin it about four ft off the ground so that it was against a large tree. Then place a trap set at the base of the tree. The idea behind it is simple. The scent will carry well because of the whole carcass hangin above ground level. The dog will try to stand against the tree to reach the bait an will either get caught as it approaches or when it puts its hind feet in the trap as it reaches for the bait. Maybe this has been done before an I'm a retard. I don't know . Thought it sounded like a good idea. I have chickens and drive 20 mile to school everyday so there is no shortage of rabbits layin along the road. Any thoughts?

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
Re: hanging bait for yotes and fox?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
it is illegal....

now if you put some call lure on the tree and made a dirt hole or urin post near by that would work.

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 08:41:06 PM »
I wasn't aware of that? That doesn't make sense. We can hunt over a bait pile of dead critters but can't use them to trap? That seems kinda contradictory don't it. Thanks anyway

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »
Ok wait a minute, I just got out my reg book and this is a quote from page 17 taking advantage of food or bait- any natural or man made nonliving bait can be used to attract coyotes for hunting or trapping. Now I'm really confused

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 09:30:06 PM »
Bait cannot be visable from the air.

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 06:56:32 AM »
I'm not arguing with you or anything but where does it say that in the reg book?

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »
Under the trapping regulations.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 02:02:46 PM »
Jeremy is correct on this.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »
Ok I found where it says about this in the book on page 76. I'm still confused about the logic of the people who make these regulations. It don't make any sense that we can hunt over a pile of dead stuff but can't trap under it.  ;)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 03:22:22 PM »
You can trap under dead stuff as long as its not visible from the air.  I believe this is to protect birds of prey like owls, eagles and hawks.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 04:02:06 PM »
Trapping regulations are alot diffrent than hunting.  You can shoot a beaver, muskrat, mink inits a trap but not if if its just running around.

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 07:59:42 AM »
Ok if the reg is supposed to protect birds an what not then this type of set would not endanger them at all. Iff the dead critter is hanging against the tree and the trap is in the ground at the base of the tree four feet away from the critter then there is no danger to birds of prey. They hit stuff from above or sideways. I think this reg is meant for putting dead stuff on top of or very near traps in the ground in the middle of a field or somewhere. Just a thought

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »
Good luck with that.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 03:43:35 PM »
I am not a WCO.  If you want clarification or explanation, you need to contact the PA Game Commission.  Certainly you are not that desperate to catch a critter enough to stretch a law?  We don't always like, approve or agree with laws but they are in place for reasons and we should respect that as ethical hunters/trappers.

Good Luck this year.........Tim

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 06:33:22 AM »
I've been hang'n bait from trees since boyhood.
Tainted bait works best and cold weather produces good results.
My method is to place bait in burlap bag (hence 'not visible from air') but nowadays mostly place bait in a sock to hang.
Am a slow learner, but Fox told me (on snow) how they work  this setup and where to place trap for blind sets.
Just a tip for folks that use cables...Sock method works for cable situations.
Another note...for bait pile users...with your bait pile, add a tainted hang'n bait. The hang'n bait will keep 'em interested and come'n for more when you are lazy and don't replendest the bait pile.