Author Topic: 16 Gauge  (Read 1755 times)

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
16 Gauge
« on: February 23, 2014, 11:09:39 PM »
Picked up a Mossberg pump cheap at the Carbondale gun show.  Cleaned it up nice and was wondering if anyone has used a 16 gauge for fox? 
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: 16 Gauge
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 06:32:11 AM »
As a matter of fact I used to use a Model 12 Winchester 16ga....back when I was much younger cause it was my only shotgun....I would use #2 Hi-Brass loads and the fox needed to be in your face....Back then I was shooting mostly grays and they were notorious for running right over you so it wasn't a big problem.....I would not recommend or endorse it as a weapon of choice for predators. Makes a great Grouse gun if you happen to have any of them around and it was also good for ducks (jump & decoy) with Hi-Brass #5 shot...JMO

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
Re: 16 Gauge
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 07:26:21 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Its main purpose is actually going to be for rabbits.  I've given up on finding a cheap 20 SxS.  I'm debating trading my Stoeger 12 o/u for a rifle.  It seems my Mossberg 500 12 is still old reliable.  It is probably pound for pound the best gun you can buy for the money. I personally would find a used older one though if I can find one in .410.
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1