Author Topic: 243 reloading problems  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
243 reloading problems
« on: May 02, 2012, 11:44:12 PM »
im loading 243 with Nosler Ballistic Tip 90gr bullets and during the seating process some of the bullets go in very forcefully..leaving copper fragments at the top of the neck..the brass in winchester never fired..am i doing something wrong??
Are they ok to shoot accurately??
Or should i just invest in a better brass like lapua???
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: 243 reloading problems
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 05:39:58 AM »
Coop....resize all new brass before you reload them...run them through your resizing die...this should eliminate the problem...yes any time you take a hardy scratch of weight off the bullet it will travel a little different.
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 08:02:33 AM »
Make sure your seating die is not crimping the case mouth also. That could be very dangerous, adjust your dies with the instructions

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »
Nope it wasnt crimping them..i didnt know i had to resize them being brand new..oops..was wondering why i couldnt get a decent group with my last load!! Thanks again guys!
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 12:18:43 PM »
They need deburred. I just picked up some new brass and the mouths were rough from the factory
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »
yea i noticed that too...is winchester brass really low quality?? is there a moderatley priced brass for decent quality?
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 04:23:45 PM »
I use remington brass but have read win heater is decent stuff. I just think the difference in price between rem or win brass and lapua and nosler is the rem and win you have case prep where lapua and nosler comes good to go. Deburring cases is not too big a deal imo
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 12:40:16 AM »
ok cool..yea i def dont mind the "MAN" time in my cave to lube resize and debur new cases especially for half the price...plus i like listening to music rather than the baby crying lol
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline foxfx

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 06:26:23 PM »
I always full length size, trim, chamfer, and debur all new brass.  The copper shavings while seating your bullet is probably caused by a sharp case mouth that has not been chamfered hard enough.  Lapua brass is not required.  Winchester and Remington make pretty good brass for the common reloader.  If the brass is new, I doubt there is a something wrong with it. 

Cheers

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 10:35:48 AM »
yep just needed to debur...everything is smooth sailing now
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill