Author Topic: .223 opinions  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Chuckieo

.223 opinions
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:48:29 PM »
I am looking to get a better predator gun. One with enough punch for coyote and still have minimal fur damage. I considered the 17 fireball but the ammo is pricey. I have a 17 hmr and am quite depressed over  that caliber after reading a lot on this forum. (The gun dealer told me it was a top coyote gun, years ago when they firs became available) Apparently he didn't know about the 17 centerfires.

Should I consider the 223? i was told the ammo is reasonable and it can reach out and touch them. A gun dealer said they were very accurate. (Yes I know a gun is only as accurate as the shooter)  He told me that he has a pile of them. All kinds, single shots and ones with magazines. Or is he just trying to unload extra stock? I am going this weekend to look at the brands etc. This gun dealer didn't speak too highly of the 221 fireball, also stating the ammo was expensive.

I thought about a 243 but IMO it might be overkill. Also considered the 22.250 but someone stated it does a lot of fur damage. Please help, I'm just getting more confused as to what decision to make.

I do kill a lot of fox. but I'm good at sewing up holes since I am also a taxidermist. But not good at sewing up a fist size hole through the shoulder blade either. I would appreciate your honest opinions.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: .223 opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:21:06 PM »
Are you hunting flat farmland or rolling hills?Fox or coyote?Do you plan on selling the pelts?Average distance you are shooting?Is noise an issue?

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:21:10 PM »
Cant go wrong with 223.  Theres lots of cal. out there but a 223 is about the most common.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 05:50:02 AM »
I have a Ruger Mdl 77 Compact in 223 and wouldn't trade it for nothing ;) It's great at distances of 200 yds for fox and I also love it for Ground Grizz I try to limit my shots to 200 or less, just my preference, I know that it would reach farther...I'd say a 223 is an all round varmit/predator gun for Pa.
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Chuckieo

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 10:19:09 AM »
The land I hunt varies from rolling farmland to steep mountains. I hunt most every county in Western PA. I live in Mercer county where it is relatively flat. But a short drive can put you in the mountains. Noise is not a factor for me. I am selling the pelts I get,  and only hunt when they are prime. Thank you for the replies.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 07:45:18 PM »
17 fireball or 22 hornet,anything bigger you will be sewing holes.I'm not going to say much about the 17 hmr but it does have potential especially in the modified state.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 02:49:03 PM »
Buy the 223. You will love it. Have some predator loads and deer loads worked up for it. Before long, it will become a favorite deer rifle as well.