Author Topic: 17 fireball and fur damage?  (Read 8430 times)

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
17 fireball and fur damage?
« on: October 14, 2010, 08:48:11 PM »
Am looking at getting one. I am thinking that it would be the best for both fox and coyotes. But I would like to know about the fur damage that you get form this caliber? Most of the shots will be from 50 to 100 yards.

uncle buck

Re: 17 fireball and fur damage?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 09:34:47 PM »
You will be able to shoot from point blank out past 250 yards...I don't know what happens to a fox when it's hit with a 20 grain V-Max.  I only use the 25 grain HP.  This will be the first year for me to use the Fireball.  I have and still do use the 17 Rem too. If when using the 17 Rem you hit the shoulder bone it could put a bigger hole in the hide.  This would be due to the shoulder being splintered with bone.. Other then that...It will kill coyotes, gray fox, red fox, bobcat, crows, coon, and chucks... Now the only thing that will get blown up would be the crow....You will also enjoy chuck hunting much more...I  stop going chuck hunting and did not hunt them for years.. Now that I have a 17 CF I look forward to quite a few chuck hunts each year..

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 09:44:27 PM »
Brushwolf
There are hunters that think they are the best thing for fox since sliced bread. I saw some fox shot that you had to look were they were hit to find the hole. But on a coyote I have not seen any shot with them. But I would think a 25 gr bullet at under a hundred would do OK, I would not be afraid to shoot a lot farther.
How many coyotes do you think you will shoot at verses fox. Maybe it is not all that important.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:49:47 PM by Buckwheat »
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 12:41:52 PM »
I have shot fox, coyotes, and woodchucks with mine.  I have yet to have an exit hole and only seen one in a woodchuck and that is because my buddy hit it high in the back and it only went through about 3 or 4 inches of chuck, but it still wasn't a big hole.   my furthers shot was on a coyote and it was about 150 yards, her mind told her to run but her body couldn't, she did a coyote a flips and was dead 3 feet from where i shot her.  i shot her behind the shoulder.  my son hit a chuck at about 50 yards with his and i told him to shoot it on the shoulder, he did, had a hard time finding and entry hole and no exit but the inside felt like crushed bone and jello.  most animals shot with the fireball it is tough to find an entry hole, i lay them down for a couple of minutes one the side i shot them to see if some blood will come out and you usually get a couple of drops. 

we all shoot the remington sps and UMC 25 grain hollow points. 

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 06:13:50 PM »
Brushwolf,
     I have a 17 Mach IV which is the equivelant of a 17 Fireball.  My thoughts were the same as yours figuring that it would be a good rifle for predators.  I shoot 20 grain Hornady Vmax bullets and have been effective on coyotes, bobcats, raccoon and fox.  Its very fur friendly provided that you stay off of heavy bone and the fringes of the animal.  Its very hard as you will see to find a perfect caliber for coyotes down to fox when fur damage is of a concern.  The 17 fireball is as close that I have come to the perfect caliber for doing it all when fur damage is a factor.  Having said that when fox season closes or they are not targeted by me I do step to a Tactical 20 when only hunting for bobcat and coyote.  I have lost both on occassion to the smaller 17 centerfire when I shot at greater distances which is why I jumped to the Tactical 20.  Like I said its hard to cross train a caliber for all but, you are on the right track with the 17 Fireball.  My 17 shoots incredible even at 300 yards but, sheds energy at that distance fast.  When shooting coyote and bobcats I would try to keep your shots closer to avoid losing them at times on the real long shots.  I try to make my shots under 200 yards with this caliber when not shooting at fox.  Good luck on your research.

TFC2223 (Kirk McKendree)
KCC Prostaff
HEVI-SHOT Field Staff
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 09:12:19 PM »
Thanks for all the info. Now I need to find what gun to get it in. Of the guns out their witch ones has good reviews?

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 11:02:25 PM »
Brushwolf....You need to decide what 17 center fire caliber you want to purchase...I do like the 17 Rem too.. You can load that up or down to velocities of the 17 Fireball. Remington, CZ,   Sako (Tikka)  sell 17 CF. You can have a custom Encore barrel made for the Encore system.

You don't have to buy brand new... You could shop around for a Rem 700 BDL 17 REM or the other brands I listed.. Good thing about the 17 CF..People are always looking for them and you could get your money back if you decide to sale it.

I know of people that have the 17 CF in Encore and Contender pistols too....That would be good for when you ventured into the deep woods to hunt coyotes or bobcat..When you have to walk in real far and hunt from the side of a mountain...

I like the 17 CF so much that I probably need to keep my eyes and ears open for someone that wants to sale a 17 CF Encore pistol barrel.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:09:24 PM by uncle buck »

Renny

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 07:51:22 AM »
I have around 800 rds of 17 rem CF brass if anyone is intersted.  I don't reload....

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 07:58:38 PM »
Uncle Buck,
     Its funny you mention the 17 cf pistol idea for deep woods carry.  I have one and do just that on occassion.  Works well and keeps the weight down on those deep woods sets.  I do loose accuracy since I find that I can't steady it as well as a rifle.   ;D

TFC2223 (Kirk McKendree)
Kettle Creek Calls Prostaff
HEVI-SHOT Field Staff
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 04:36:50 PM »
I have around 800 rds of 17 rem CF brass if anyone is intersted.  I don't reload....

I'll takem!!!!

Renny

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 08:00:50 AM »
You have pm.