Author Topic: What choke do you use the most?  (Read 2907 times)

uncle buck

What choke do you use the most?
« on: December 22, 2009, 12:59:18 AM »
I have recently gone to using Modified choke for fox in my pump and semi... It's working great......Makes me think I should take the  side by side choked Modified and Full fox and coyote hunting?
My reason is an article in Feb 2010 Shooting Times on how the modifed effective killing range is the longest of chokes from IC-Full.  25 to 45 yards of pattern killing distance...Full only develops well at 45 yards...
Article brought forth that when you pattern at the range you don't know when your pellets reach the target.. Looks like a good pattern but when did they reach the target.. The modifed choke tube.. is a consistent killing pattern from 25 to 45 yards... The IC and Full are not...They have to develop and then they drop off as a killing pattern real fast..
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 01:00:26 AM by uncle buck »

Offline yotehunter74

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.sfcustompredatorcalls.com
Re: What choke do you use the most?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 10:31:23 AM »
I tried my modified choke and was very happy with it.... I have been using #4 buck and shot it through the Primos dead dog tube and am also very happy with that combo in my semi....   The first several fox i killed this year i used the modified and they were DRT

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 10:40:49 AM »
I'm using and xtra full turkey choke 665 constriction for #5 or #4 Nitro turkey magnums. I shot #4 buck and didn't trust the pattern enough. I'm gonna look into the new Kicks coyote choke tubes this coming year and start pursuing yotes more.
FayetteNam

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 11:10:15 AM »
on the stoeger i use a modified on the first trigger and a full on the second.  we have been doing well up to 50 yards using BBs. 

when Herb first got into predator hunting he was using an extra full choke on his pump gun and he missed a couple of fox that were close, he dropped down to a full choke and i don't think he has missed since. 

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 12:05:09 PM »
 ;) I use a two handed choke...just takes the life right outta them... ;D(Couldn't resist it UB)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 12:37:11 PM »
I have one of them there Truglo adjustable poly chokes for my model 1400 win...However thing makes you think you have an anti-aircraft gun...Nnow maybe if one had a 20 inch barrel the antiaircroft device (Poly Choke) would not be so bad..I would make thatg 20 inchers a 24-25 incher...

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 01:00:21 PM »
;) I use a two handed choke...just takes the life right outta them... ;D(Couldn't resist it UB)

LOL

Best be careful when doing the two handed choke on the Alpha Male or Female...They may make you think they are the Bravo or the Charley and nip you a good one...

LOL