Author Topic: 12ga Buckshot vs. Hevishot  (Read 2585 times)

Offline kspringer

12ga Buckshot vs. Hevishot
« on: June 21, 2009, 11:39:30 PM »
I've been playing with a few loads for my 870 Express Super Mag and wanted to get your opinion on the "Dead Coyote" T-shot loads. My favorite load currently is the Winchester Super-X 3.5" #4 Buck, with the Federal 3" #4 Buck coming in a close second.

Has anyone shot the 3 or 3.5" Hevi-Shot "Dead Coyote" T-shot loads? My favorite 3.5" #4 loads have become virtually impossible to find, but the thought of throwing $3 down range every time I pull the trigger makes me cringe. If there is a significant increase in lethality over the #4 Buck at 50 yards (my self imposed max) it may also be worth it. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated.

Offline archerobx

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: 12ga Buckshot vs. Hevishot
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:51:01 AM »
I bought some for my 870 express. Wasnt the dead coyote but heavy shot. Bought the special heavy shot choke.  It did not pattern well for me so I never used it, gave it away

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 10:48:44 AM »
I like it.  kills critters just as well as #4 buck.  but if you allready have a good patern with #4 buck then why switch?  I seen you were having problems finding the load you use.  check to see if you can order it.  I mostly use whinchester 3" #4 buck or 3" bb load.  dead coyote is good for extending your range.  but in short you are shooting a shotgun not a rifle.  if you want something to reach to 60+ yds get a .223.  if you do get a good killing pattern at 60yds with DC then what does it look like at 30 yds?  yeah you pretty much rip the critter in half. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline kspringer

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 12:54:27 PM »
Thanks guys, I was able to find a couple more boxes of the 3.5" #4 buck that my 870 likes. I think I'll save $2.00 per shell and not worry about the hevi-shot stuff at this point.