Author Topic: HUMP!!!  (Read 5126 times)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
HUMP!!!
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:26:43 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( Everyone on here must be boiling and waxing traps  ??? ??? cause they sure aren't on this site :-\ :-\ :-\
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: HUMP!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 02:57:25 PM »
I guess everyone is either getting their kids ready to go back to school or out sun bathing.   Hopefully things will pick up soon now that hunting season is just around the corner.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 06:57:53 PM »
I was humping as you started this thread...did you try those #2 dogless? I didnt realize they're offset only!
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 06:58:44 PM »
I've been fishing...but the last month or so has had me catching up on the honey-do list.  Sloping the front yard away from the house and doing a bathroom remodel (which has turned out a lot longer than I thought).  It will make the wife happy and now I have permission for more toys.  Which just happens to be putting my oldest through college.   ???
Scott Morgan
District 3
TC Venture 308, Savage 340C 222, Dan Thompson and Bees O'Brien Calls 

"I am not your subject. I am the man who keeps you free. I am not your servant. I am the person whom you serve. I am not your peasant. I am the flesh and blood of America."

Joshua Boston

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 06:52:54 AM »
It'll pick up.
This happens every year ;)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 09:22:55 AM »
 ;) Critter...I haven't got any yet  :-[  but I was hopeful to pick some up at the Expo next month  ??? ??? I just hafta get the Doc to let me drive again and get this stiff leg brace off  :( :(.....yea, I'll need to learn to walk again too, and that even ground at the Expo will test the balance for sure   ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 10:10:18 PM »
I haven't bought new traps in years...
Bought some new traps in June.
Finally got my mind into tuning them up. Dozen done so far.
Rest of them should be tuned this week. Maybe...lol

-I cut chain in half and add mid-line swivel
-Make sure all (factory and add on) J-hooks are closed tight
-Put name tag on
-Drill out end swivel hole so Quick Link can go through (I use Quick Link to attach my Cable Stake)
-Take pan off (I replace with Brass bolt, washer and nut, more later)
-Widen pan post with screw driver (so washer can fit inside with pan, more later)
-Lightly file sharp edge off under side of pan (Bridgers, not necessary, just don't like sharp edge)
-File notch square, notch and face and feel for burls on edge of notch and file them off
-File dog square and check for rough burls
-Attach pan with Brass bolt, Brass washer and Brass bolt. I replace stock bolt and nut with Brass.
-I place washer inside the posts, with the pan. This will take the side-to-side wobble out of the pan. No wobble. I put bolt through and get nut on.
-With screw driver and nut driver I tighten bolt to draw the pan posts tight together. Now the posts are straight and tight. Then back off bolt to desired pan tension.
-With a washer inside the pan post, the pan will lean to one side. It's not level. So I just gripped pan with the channel locks and bent it level/flat.
-I set trap to check if pan sits level with jaws and fire trap to see if it's tuned proper

If pan drops too low before it fires or drops and doesn't fire...
I use channel locks on the frame, where the dog is attached and pull back from trap, trying to bend that part of the frame away from pan.
That will pull my dog away from the pan notch and will raise the pan when trap is set.
This may take me 1 or 2 times or more of bending that frame so my pan sits level when trap is set. It may take a few times, but the pan will sit level. And that's what I want.

Any questions how I tune up a trap or if you need help...pm me

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:14:46 PM by Hern »

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 09:00:36 AM »
 ;) ;) I followed every step in my mind and it's the way I do it, except for the washer inside the pan posts....now I'll hafta try that one!! ??? ???
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 03:50:43 PM »
 ??? ??? Hern, what do you do with dogless traps?? Bridger came out with the #2 offset jaw dogless and I was planning on picking up a ½ doz to play with...Your thoughts ??? ??? ???
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 05:25:35 AM »
 >:( >:( Hey Gimpy! How come you didn't ask what MY thought was????>:( >:( I was thinking.... ::).... YOU  :-[ can't catch anything with the traps you have...so save your money..buy something you can use.. ::).. like a quad walker or seat belt for your ATV... :P :P :P............and Thank-You Hern for only having about 15 steps for Goose to follow in his mind, anymore and Goose would be lost and we would need to send out a search party.... 8)...PS: Now, "BUDDY" don't  be sending any nasty grams. :( I'm just looking out for your best interest.....your friend Jaspr..  ;D ;D ;D...PPS: I'm dipping this year...hahahaha

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 07:43:16 AM »
 ;D ;D Hern...you have heard of "Dumb" and "Dumber" well that was "Dumber"..he's been skinny dipping in the Susque and done lost his mind!!  :o :o :o :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 05:49:19 AM »
 >:( >:( >:(  Ok.... >:( >:( >:( >:( those are fighting words  ::) ::) ::) ::) I "WAS" going to tell you where you could purchase those dogless with Beavers already attached, since you seem to be Beaver challenged  ::) ::) ::) but not now  >:( >:( not ever  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X..... 8)....PS: Hern knows Dumb and Dumber, he knows us both...lol..try to be more serious.........hahahahaha

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 09:00:51 AM »
jaspr, I didn't know there were 15 steps...It took me longer to think of each step, in order and type it than I would have turned up a trap at the bench.

Goose, I don't own dogless. I had some Montgomery dogless years ago and sold 'em. I guess they weren't for me. But check the archives on trapperman, it sould have a post about tuning dogless traps.

See you guys in East Waterford. Planning on Saturday.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 03:46:50 PM »
 ;) ;) Saturday will be a good day!!  ;D ;D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 05:40:49 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Sounds great  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D................... 8)