Author Topic: what are they good for?  (Read 2374 times)

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
  • There aint no such thing as too dead...
what are they good for?
« on: November 19, 2011, 12:15:52 PM »
I picked up four number 1 blake and lamb legholds at an auction last night for $2.00, they seem pretty tight with a good amount of use left in them. I think they are what is called a "jump trap" variety. At least the ones on ebay I found last night look like these an that's what name they were under. What kinda critter are they used for? I was thinkin probably mink or muskrat? Someone there said they will catch a coon but they look a little small for that.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: what are they good for?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 02:24:22 PM »
I have a doz or so of the same trap.  They are good for mink and rats.  coon I wouldn't trust em on.  ya just don't catch enough of the pad to hold them there in those traps.  even new duke #1's I had problems with holding coon.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 02:40:23 PM »
Rat and mink.  To small for coon IMO.  Wook great in high theft areas.

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 04:17:38 PM »
Jeremy, what u mean high theft areas? U mean critters robbing bait or people robbing ur traps?

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 04:36:29 PM »
People.  They are a cheep trap.  I doubt most trap thiefs would take them.  They do work well on Mrat floats.

Offline cooncrazy

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 04:49:58 PM »
they'll hold coon.they are all i used when i was a kid.put a good swivel on them and they'll do for fox also,but i used the 1 1/2 jumps for them. 

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 07:16:37 PM »
I really didn't think they would hold a coon very well. They just don't seem to be heavy enough. I'm sure they would hold one for a while but I don't think they would hold a 20 pound coon for long. I don't think I will chance them on coon