Author Topic: Buckwheat Hulls  (Read 15193 times)

Offline PREDATOR 10X

Buckwheat Hulls
« on: December 15, 2006, 06:54:07 PM »
Started usin them this year,I seem to be havin trouble bedin trap solid.How do you guys do it?Thanks Pred 10x.

Offline Tracker

• Senior Forum Member
    • http://www.huntnpa.com
Buckwheat Hulls
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 08:43:46 PM »
This is my first year trappin and I just started using cover hulls myself.
I'm digging out the bed and tossing the dirt away from the set, then I use my hammer and beat the bed nice and flat, then I'm putting the trap in the bed i'm covering the pan with screen and then I pour in the hulls untill they are about level and smooth them off with the back of my hand, then I put a light coat of no-freeze dirt over the top to keep the hulls from blowing away and then blend it in.
I dig the bed out just big enough for the trap, they are not rock solid but its working. :twisted:

hyp⋅o⋅crite: a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.
Synonyms: deceiver, dissembler, pretender, pharisee, phony.

Offline Tracker

• Senior Forum Member
    • http://www.huntnpa.com
Buckwheat Hulls
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 08:50:50 PM »
I have read that a pan cover is not needed when using hulls, I don't know for sure and I have them so I use them to be sure.
hyp⋅o⋅crite: a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.
Synonyms: deceiver, dissembler, pretender, pharisee, phony.

Offline archerobx

• PPHA Forum GURU
Buckwheat Hulls
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 09:29:51 PM »
an old trapper told me to use a 50/50 mix of hulls and moss. Havent tried it yet but plan to when it freezes again.

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
Buckwheat Hulls
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 06:40:14 AM »
Quote from: "Tracker"
I have read that a pan cover is not needed when using hulls, I don't know for sure and I have them so I use them to be sure.

Pan covers are not needed anytime.  At least in my opinion.  My traps are all adjusted to fire with a hairs movement of the pan.  Sifted dirt or buckwheat hulls will not pack so tight under the pan to stop it from moving 1/32 of an inch.  Haven't used a pan cover for about 5 years and haven't had a problem.  I will use coated steal screen on my #3 and #4s to gain a little pan catch area.

Offline jimneye

Buckwheat Hulls
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 09:53:23 PM »
It is true that pan covers are not needed, but you will use fewer cover hulls / wax dirt at each set by not having to fill the void under the pan.
I would like to offer the services of my God given talent to anyone who has anything they need lost or broken.