Author Topic: Victor # 2 Trap  (Read 7553 times)

uncle buck

Victor # 2 Trap
« on: August 16, 2010, 10:04:37 PM »
I have about three dozen Victor # 2 traps that I purchased years back and I have caught fox, and everything lesser with it...How will the Victor # 2 work for coyotes?... It's a big trap but I know that really means nothing when it comes to coyotes...

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
Re: Victor # 2 Trap
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 10:43:22 PM »
Should work for coyote as long as they're strong enough.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 07:38:44 AM »
Stock, out-of-the box is poor choice to hold Coyote.
Needs modified. By that...
Add base plate and attach chain to center of base plate
Add crunch proof swivels
replace springs with #3 music wire springs
Spot weld jaws at trap frame
After all mods, after a catch a Coyote will bend jaws, dog & pan.
I feel an extra baseplate is needed for Coyote trapping. They seem to bend and work over a 'stock' trap.
UB, you might take a look at the larger size Duke traps, priced at a fair price.

I give demos, teach Hunter safty, and am instructor at local youth field days.
I am always telling our local folks to use larger traps and double stake for Coyote even though one is trapping Fox. We never know when or where one might work set in our area. So have equipment ready to hold Coyote.

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:11:44 AM »
Hern Thanks  for the info....Looks like it's best to just buy the traps instead of doing modification to all of the # 2's. 
I know a trapper in Dauphin county who sales brand new coyote traps that he modifies.. You probably know him Mike S P I T T L E.  He did some skinning demos for us twice at PPHA picnics and at Port Matilda..

Also I will have to take a look at the larger Duke traps...

Renny

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:45:07 AM »
UB -- PM sent.

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 11:34:10 AM »
Mike Spittle is a good buddy of mine, lives literally right down the road...I do my buisness with him
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »
DJ...I did a few Youth Field days with Mike at HH&A...He and his son did the trapping portion..My brother and I did the predator calling.

By the way...SCPA..this is yet another person you can sale your furs too...
Also he does the needed upgrade to traps that make it more of a coyote trap so they don't get away on you..

Also I like that he gave his time twice to the PPHA for skinning demos for us..
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 04:42:13 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 12:30:02 AM »
he is a good man...been friends with his son since wrestling days back in high school...and I hunt the farm that he works at that is also a close personal friend from highschool...thats his brother in law...very good people all around...honest and fair...I sell my fur to him only, after I was short a few bucks in my wallet for a dozen traps I picked up off him last season, and he just gave me the traps for 10 dollars less...I sell my fur to him because I know him well, gives me fair prices for my fur, teaches me loads of know how, and friendly gestures like giving me those traps for what I had on me goes a long way in my book...when I sold him my coons later that season I gave him back his 10 dollars...I encourage anyone that is in the SCPA region to give him a try...I was just with im saturday picking up used 1.5's(victors and blake/lambs) already dyed and dipped for decent price and he told me he has several people come from as far as Idaho to flesh and sell their fur, thats a pretty good rep! 
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Renny

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 06:52:08 AM »
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would never only sell my fur to one buyer... EVER!  Friend or not, they should understand you are trying to get as much return as you can for your time, hard work, and money invested.

Maybe you are getting the best bang for your buck, but it sure doesn't hurt to shop around a little.  Its also nice to get to know as many buyers in your area as possible as   I've seen quite a few buyers come and go over the years.

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 11:27:11 AM »
True Renny, I should have stated that last season was my first "trapping," I only had 6 borrowed traps out and caught a handfull of coon. I didn't really have time to check other people out, but it seemed like a good deal to a friend and he was cuttin me some deals elsewhere. Even though, honestly, I like to trap because its fun, the little money we get back is a bonus and goes mostly into the gas tank or more traps. Very good point though, I will probably be checking out Johnsons fur this year, mostly because I want to see all that he has at his shop.
              "CritterDone"

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 05:11:53 PM »
...I remember one fur dealer I always had to watch his math...No matter what I sold or purchase he would always short change me one fur sold or one trap, or one stretcher, or one cable restraint etc.. I would catch it ever time and say this is not correct and he would then pay me or give me the item. However before I would drive away I would recheck his math and have to tell him about it.

I started to think if this guy could do this to every trapper he had money in the bank for fur he purchased and also all those items he did not give you he could sale to other trappers...

However it just kept on happening so I stop buying trapping supplies there or selling my fur there..

So not only let the buyer beware also let the seller beware when you sale your fur too...