Author Topic: The Golden Bullet......The Night Time Shooting Light  (Read 3447 times)

uncle buck

The Golden Bullet......The Night Time Shooting Light
« on: September 28, 2010, 07:10:11 PM »
Notice during the expo many of the presenters using the term "The Golden Bullet".  Whats your Golden Bullet?  To me it's the perfect light for shooting...That's my Golden Bullet.  Notice all the predator calling videos out there... You see the light and the critters are dropped dead in their tracks however no one ever reveals "The Golden Bullet".  So we do some real good entertaining kills but the shooting systems that all of these hunters use is that old "Ancient Chinese Secret".
Me......wow........all of the lights I have purchased in my 25 years of calling...Looking for that "Golden Bullet".
See.....all of you who have not yet found the just perfect light system...We many of us were TRUE sportsperson...The Pa Law said no shooting lights on the guns and we just did not do it...Now we can do it and I can see all kinds of hunters raving and hoping and wishing that some of the new lights are going to be "The Golden Bullet".
I wish when we went to outdoor shows that people selling lights not only would have the light laying on the table but would show all the perfect set up for using that light..I mean all talk and say..This is a good light but now what is the best method to use this light.. What kind of light holder. Where should it be mounted.
I was truly impressed with TFC223 seminar....That alone to me was worth the trip to the Expo...TFC223....now that guy knows what he's doing for sure...Also Foxpro video..never showed the light types much but I did catch it in one of the clips...Truly saw all the red and white lights hitting the fox but very little footage of who and how they shot the light at the predators...You know how people have a bag of tricks. Me I have a big big big big containers filled with all kind of light you could imagine...Someday someone is going to come up with the perfect light shooting system. This will be a rifle rest and the perfect red light and the perfect device that holds it to the gun, pole, sick, tripod.
There is money to be made out there in the predator hunting community for the inventor that could come up with the most perfect Golden Bullet Shooting light with attachments...

Offline stickbow

• Junior Forum Member
Re: The Golden Bullet......The Night Time Shooting Light
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:00:53 PM »
I may be wrong but the new writing of the light law states! Lights may be on the person, OR, gun. And the battery has to be on ones self! Not certain if they are allowed to be mounted to a bipod. Had one made up for my wife, when we were check the WCOs told us on the gun. i asked what would be the difference of holding the light. It was nice because she could have the gun up while i called and not have to lower it. I see many with tripod mounted lights.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:16:17 PM by stickbow »

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:03:34 PM »

Uncle Buck,
I appreciate the compliment.  It was nice speaking with you.  Maybe my dad was right (inside joke )lol.  I try not to conduct my seminars like I am the be all end all of techniques and so on due to realizing that we are all different in our choices of calibers, shooting systems, calls etc.  My approach is always to show others what has been working for me in the field.  This expo was priceless.  Listening to others talk about their own experiences and techniques can only raise the bar for all of us.  It was refreshing to be around die hard predator hunters.  Everyone was great and I for one had a good time.  I am glad you liked my shooting system that I adopted over ten years ago.  It has done well for me as a night hunting shooting system.  My best to you and the members of this board.  If I can ever be of assistance feel free to contact me.  Have a great safe season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TFC2223 (Kirk McKendree)
KCC Prostaff
HEVI-SHOT Field Staff
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:16:11 PM »
I may be wrong but the new writing of the light law states! Lights may be on the person, OR, gun. And the battery has to be on ones self! Not certain if they are allowed to be mounted to a bipod.

I don't think the PGC cares where the battery is attached.  We use to have to use a hand held light. Now the light can be affixed to the gun.

Battery packs used for shooting lights can be a pain at night time... If you lay the gun down on the ground the light is attached to the battery.  Some of the cheaper shooting light you can not disconnect the battery from the shooting light on the gun.  Shooting lights attached to the gun with a pressure switch work but the small tactical lights just do not open the beam to illuminate the entire animal...When you hit a animal in Pa with a tactical white light they run away.. You put on a red lens it cuts the distance down to 1/2 of what it say on the package..

If I may make a recommendation:  When you do have to use a battery pack...Nitelite sales a belt with suspenders that you can put two batteries on each side of you. This distributes the weight of the batteries for easier carrying...Remember to order the belt with suspender larger so you can place them over a heavy winter coat..

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 08:23:07 PM »
TFC223 it was indeed a pleasure talking to you and attending your seminar.  Over the years I have attended many...Seasoned predator callers can tell at a glance when people giving the seminars really know what they are talking....In your case you knew your receivers and passed on many a valuable tip. I hope many of the Pa bobcat hunters listened because you told new and seasoned predator hunters like myself good points and logical things to consider... Good to have a seminar giver the make receiver to start to think. ...You did that..
Keep up the good work...Now you listen to your dad now you hear me!!!!!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 08:56:01 PM »
I think we all look for the golden bullet for many different things.  we think that we might be able to kill more critters if we get this light or these bullets or this rest.  its funny kirk and I were talking about this during the weekend.  I had a pretty decent setup for myself but I noticed over the years of taking people out that many could not shoot at night (or just couldnt shoot).  I just got one of ernies rests and hope that this will make the people I take out better shots (along with myself being a better shot).  I also just got some new bullets to try this year.  why did I get em when I know that I had something that worked?  because I wont know or find anything better if I don't try new things.  predator calling is simple.  find the critters.  use good stand location and know how and you should find more red eyes in front of ya.  sealing the deal for me while hunting with others was always the biggest obstacle to overcome.  in a few months hopefully I will see a difference. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 09:03:30 PM »
Good for you Ben...Your like me...Maybe I try to many of the 999 different things.. However this is how your learn by trial and error...

I think you did the right thing with the rest...I'm sure your kill will increase this year because of it.. Why if you get yourself about 20 red fox...Gee you already paid for some of your equipment purchases this year... That is another thing to think about when you buy something a bit expensive... Your going to get more $$$$$$for your harvest too....

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 09:06:07 PM »
its been awhile since I bought anything $ for preds.  I have had my eye on one of those rests since two summers ago when I shot off one.  now I got me one.  just picked up some paint this afternoon and plan on camoing it up this weekend.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 10:24:01 PM »
No matter what you find that works for you one thing is definetly for certain.  Learn your gear and become as accurate and efficient as you can with it and the odds will continue to increase into your favor.  Over the years I have some make fun of me over being very systematic or O.C.D. because everything has its place.  Even my pockets in my predator vest are loaded the same way each year lol.  Seems small but, sometimes the little things whatever they may be can add up.  It adds to my confidence as well when afield.  Trail and error thats what makes us better. 

Uncle Buck, I will keep you posted on my fathers recommendation lol.

TFC2223 (Kirk McKendree)
KCC Prostaff
HEVI-SHOT Field Staff 
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS