Author Topic: Reloading seating the bullet right on the Ogive  (Read 2197 times)

uncle buck

Reloading seating the bullet right on the Ogive
« on: April 02, 2011, 10:06:58 PM »
Nice to have an Encore or a bolt action or a pump or a lever when you want to seat a bullet by taking a reading with a Hornady seating gauge.. Now a Savage 24 V the hinge pin doesn't appear to be able to be removed easily.. So the use of the Hornady seating gauge is a burden.. Also probably the NEF single shot guns if you can't take them all apart to put the gauge down through the breech... Just something to consider too if you reload and you use seating gauges . That would be a negative thing about the Savage 24's and maybe even other single shot rifles that you can't remove the hinge pin... Can the NEF guns be broken down right to just the barrel without a forearm and the action????

Going to take the 24V out soon and see which 223 powder shoots the best. The 223 wow so many different OAL seating depths in reloading books and on the web for this calbier.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/st_precisely_200809/index.html

« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:14:33 PM by uncle buck »

Offline jaybird

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Reloading seating the bullet right on the Ogive
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:04:59 AM »
how long is your barrel UB?... one trend i have noticed with my savage m12fcv (and i have been doing a fair amount of reloading and testing powders and tips lately) is that the faster burning powders work much better with lighter bullets, and slower powders with heavier bullets and believe its because of the 26 inch barrel...

i have some 35gr vmaxes that shoot pretty good at 100yd with a decent dose of imr3031 (not sure about past that, just had the tips to play with, don't really plan on using them for game)... my pet load for this rifle is a 55gr sierra gameking BTHP with the max load 26.1gr of h4895 at 3300fps... 1/2 groups all day, and i can attest to this load's accuracy out to 300yds, shooting prone off the bipod on a 7x7 inch steel plate, hits were stacked on top of each other...

lastly i have been messing around with the 69gr sierra matchking, provide about the same accuracy as the 55gr sierras at 100, but the h4895 still burns too quick with the longer bullet, which creates more pressure and blows out primers (as we have all witnessed in my my last thread)... for these heavier tips i have decided to try Accurate Arms 2520 and have been getting decent results, i still have more testing to do on this load with different primers and seating depths...

Offline savage05

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:04:06 AM »
Off track but I wish my 24c had a .223 barrel rather than a 22lr.:) UB did you ever do any trigger work to your 24? Mine is like trying to open a frozen shut car door with a pair of mittens on...and that's after I bead blasted the whole thing and lubed her back up. It was a real basket case 2 years ago, but it's been brought back from the dead and ready to do some field work.

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 01:24:04 PM »
Savage05 no I never messed with the trigger on my 24V..

Jaybird the Savage 24V has a 24 inch barrel.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:34:15 PM by uncle buck »