Author Topic: Fawns in distress???  (Read 6701 times)

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Fawns in distress???
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 12:16:06 PM »
Hey guys. Just thought I'd share this since it pretty much echoes much of what has been said here. Scouting and fitting the situation and of course calling where they are... when they are there. This property rarely gets hunted but this is the second dog I've taken there both on the same day, at roughly the same time, but two years apart! We know where they run, where they lie low and that they love the abundance of fawns here. Taken Aug. 2nd @ about 7:30pm at around the 8 min mark. Coyote vocals and fawn distress mixed with a little antelope distress on the foxpro. Dog came from behind me through a cornfield and popped out 50 feet to my dead left on the woodline (same one seen in background of photo) and immediately locked onto the mojo critter long enough for me to turn 90 degrees and take the shot with the .204...shotgun was left in the truck!  This was also my nephews first hunt. Hope he realizes they don't always come together like this!

PPHA President

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »
Thats awesome !! Thanks for sharing.  I like your choice in firearms!!  What make and grain of bullets are you using in the .204 ??
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 02:01:30 PM »
I was shooting the factory Hornady Vmax 32gr'ers ...a  buddy and I started to mess around with a few handloads but I was soo busy we never finished shooting the various ones to draw a conclusion. I know with the right one the .204 can be pushed wicked fast and speed kills..but, I'm not a reloader really and my buddy lives an hour away so the jury is still out.  As far as factory, the 32s shoot real well out of my savage, better than the other factory offerings, so there is no worry...  the Vmax can be nasty on a hide but they shoot like a lazer and are devastating. Oh, forgot to mention that coyote was shot in Dauphin county... for whats its worth. Take'r easy.
PPHA President

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 02:48:38 PM »
I'm from York County, and I still run into a lot of people who don't believe me when I tell them there are Coyotes in York.......Lots of Coyotes !

I use a Thompson Center Venture .204 with Hornady 40 gr VMax.  I've knocked ground hogs off at over 300 yards with it.  I really like the Calibre.  I run in to a lot of people who have never heard of the  .204.  I tell them it's like a .223 on steriods !!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 02:52:41 PM by Misterjake23 »
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »
Haha, thats the truth...we started using trail cams and on one of the farms, the farmer, who has lived there many many years, couldn't believe the pics we had of multiple coyotes on his property at any given time. He was so used to seeing just "one".. I guess he assumed that was the extent of it...now he is seeing two on cam at a time and up to five total on a farm that is not too large. Out of sight out of mind I guess...
PPHA President

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 05:42:44 PM »
Congrats on a nice dog! I also use the .204  40 grain v max with great results.

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 06:51:47 PM »
Congrats on a nice dog! I also use the .204  40 grain v max with great results.

Thanks! I did shoot the 40gr. when I first bought the .204 but the the 32s just seemed to shoot better for me...I just picked up two boxes of the winchester varmint x 34gr. JHPs...they were pretty cheap so what the heck...we'll see how they shoot..good to see theres a few .204 guys here. Thats cool. I know I'm a fan...
PPHA President

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 08:17:37 PM »
The .204 was a round I never heard of until 2 years ago and as soon as I shot one, I had to have one. It's a tack driver to say the least. I'm not a reload guy myself and have found the horady 40 grain to be an excellent round and what I will continue to shoot. When comparing the 204 with a 40 grain bullet to the 22/250 using Horady with a 50 grain bullet, the ballistics are nearly identical but of course there is more powder and a 10 grain difference with the 22/250 round.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 08:21:11 PM »
Nice story and Picture, QUATTRO.
Proof that your scouting and trail cams helped with your success.
Good job.

Offline YoteSki

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 09:31:28 PM »
i will say that the info on this topic is very informative.  keep the info coming guys im still learning here!  good job on the yote too im looking forward to calling one in!
Keith
Crawford county
Top Of the Food Chain
District 5

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »
Nice story and Picture, QUATTRO.
Proof that your scouting and trail cams helped with your success.
Good job.

Thank you Hern. Althought the cams weren't on this particular farm they are something I started to utilize on others to aide in traditional scouting.  At one point or another any one of the properties I hunt has coyotes but, it is very hard to scout them all continuously and as you stated before (I think) you have to be where they are, when they are there..the theory is very basic but can actually be a stumbling point like it was for me. I would get a new place to hunt, the owner would say "oh yea, theres yotes here" and alot of times I would cold call or call after limited scouting. I would do a quick look at the terrain, find a few old tracks or scat and call.  I soon learned I was wasting alot of time, energy and gas calling places that just weren't holding coyotes at that time or really at all.  Some places are just a passing point and not much else. Trying to catch that coyote that is just "passing thru" is like playing the powerball. I then spent almost an entire season just scouting the places I had to "try" and determine the whens and wheres and which ones may not be worth too much time. Some places, like the one in the photo, seem to have a spike during the summer and not so much the winter and others the opposite, some places are year round. I am far from a coyote killing machine and like many others, life gets in the way all too often but, the odds get better the more I put in the work. Location is by far the king though. Ok, I'll shut up now... :-X
PPHA President

Offline a bolt

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 05:29:24 PM »
Good job on the yote .

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 07:13:45 PM »
QUATTRO says-
At one point or another any one of the properties I hunt has coyotes but, it is very hard to scout them all continuously and as you stated before (I think) you have to be where they are, when they are there..the theory is very basic but can actually be a stumbling point...
  Some places are just a passing point and not much else. Trying to catch that coyote that is just "passing thru" is like playing the power ball. I then spent almost an entire season just scouting the places I had to "try" and determine the whens and wheres and which ones may not be worth too much time. Some places, like the one in the photo, seem to have a spike during the summer and not so much the winter and others the opposite, some places are year round. I am far from a coyote killing machine and like many others, life gets in the way all too often but, the odds get better the more I put in the work. Location is by far the king...

You summed up what I've been teaching for years.
Am happy you understand and realize what it takes.
I've been using a decoy off and on for decades. The past several years, I now use a decoy on Coyote setups, for the most part.
QUATTRO, you mentioned 'spiked' areas. As Denning areas in summer.
I have a couple of these 'spiked' areas during rifle Deer season. Not many Coyotes around these areas otherwise, but during rifle Deer season, Coyotes get pushed on these properties where there is food, cover and low Deer hunting pressure. I have traps waiting as well as calling these properties.
This all adds up to following the fur during the seasonal changes, weather fronts, human pressure and crops being harvested.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:18:58 PM by Hern »