Author Topic: Tonight's the night!!!!  (Read 6909 times)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Tonight's the night!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 07:56:21 PM »
 ;) Sometimes you are the student and they are the teacher  ??? But it is nice when you can reverse roles  ;D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline skookhunter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 01:34:45 PM »
Went out again last night around 10:30 to new spot I was curious about.  Large section of PPL pole line 50yrds wide 500-600yrds to the other end where it drops off over a hill. Got myself backed into a small group of tight pines right in the middle. Woods on one side and thick scrub oaks on the other.  Had the e caller about 50 yards out infront on me to the right a little.  Got set up and waited about 10 min before calling just scanning around. Started with jack rabbit distress for about 5 min. Then I sat there for about 15 min silent. Then I went grey fox distress  for like 3 min. Sat quiet for 10-15 min. Played cottontail distress for 30 sec and sat quiet for 5 min then again for 30 sec and sat for 10 min and packed it up and headed to the next spot. Ended up walkin like 2 miles on a dirt road to a dead end. So it was a straight road except the last 30 yards which dog legged to the left to a dead end. I sat at the turn put the caller 50 yards back the way I came in the bush a little off to the side.  Pretty much same scenario as the first set but at the end I did a howl and waited 15 sec and did another and nothing. It was now it's now like 1 so I packed it up and made the long haul back to the jeep.  All in all I saw 9 deer, some **** on a rock and what looked to me to be a couple frozen tracks in the mud. I was on state forest land. Tonight I'm going back to where I usually go. A lot more sign.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 01:59:52 PM »
How was  your wind?
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline skookhunter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 04:18:43 PM »
Wind was left to right for most part but it was gustin and would swirl.

Offline skookhunter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 09:07:23 AM »
 I was out tonight and actually stumbled upon a coyote in a field below me and my buddy. It saw us i think a second before we got the lights on it so when the light hit it's eye it was looking right at us and it turned and started to walk away. He lip squeaked it and it stopped turned broadside and looked right at us again.  Id say 100yrds. I lost it for a second while it was turning away and when he squeaked I caught the eyes. Scopes on it safety's off. Click. WTF. And it took 3 steps and disappeared down an old road. Ejected the shell and the primer is dented in but never went off. FML.  We tried to cut it off incase it was going to break up but we never saw it again.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 05:21:59 PM »
Welcome to my world of Predator hunting. That's  exactly the same kind of luck I have!  If it can go wrong, it will...and it always happens to me.

But a bad day of hunting is still better than a good day of working!!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline skookhunter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 06:23:21 PM »
I removed the action from the gun and have it liberally soaking in penetrating oil. I want to rule the gun out and assume it was a bad round. Last Thursday I went down to the local dirt bank and sent 9 rounds through it making sure it was still dialed in. And then the next shot to come out of it 2 days later never came out. Mother f'in misfire. Now it's gonna be another 5 weeks before I see another one.

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 07:12:27 PM »
Well the weather got the best of me and I didn't go out. I am feining to drop one of these pricks. I just want to see one. Lol. Anything. Even if one hangs up at 300 yards just to see some predator movement.
ahhaha  i agree...this year,i called my first one in...it howled and stood near an edge of a woodlot....i was so excited...that i let my hand off the pressure switch and by the time..the light came back on...all i seen was tail..but it kept me going...it was awsome...my day will come...but i learned alot that night and will always remeber that..ahaha...Rusty
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member

Offline skookhunter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 09:45:48 PM »
Well the weather got the best of me and I didn't go out. I am feining to drop one of these pricks. I just want to see one. Lol. Anything. Even if one hangs up at 300 yards just to see some predator movement.
ahhaha  i agree...this year,i called my first one in...it howled and stood near an edge of a woodlot....i was so excited...that i let my hand off the pressure switch and by the time..the light came back on...all i seen was tail..but it kept me going...it was awsome...my day will come...but i learned alot that night and will always remeber that..ahaha...Rusty

Aghhh that sucks. I'm hooked now that I finally saw one close. I want to call one in in the worst way.