Author Topic: Tonight's the night!!!!  (Read 6912 times)

Offline skookhunter

• Junior Forum Member
Tonight's the night!!!!
« on: March 10, 2014, 05:04:55 PM »
So tonight I have like 2 hrs while the daughter is at practice.  What would be some good calls to use and maybe some other ideas on how to lure an old yote out at dusk tonight? with the weather we have been having and I don't know what life cycle or period on their lives they are at right now I'm not really sure what they will be doing. Thanks everyone.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Tonight's the night!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:28:49 PM »
Just read this.
How did you do?

Offline skookhunter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 08:14:45 PM »
Just read this.
How did you do?

No luck. No howls and nothing coming in to the e caller.  I started with cottontail distress for like 10 min then stopped for like a minute and did a howl, no answer. Then went with fawn distress for another 10. I was out last Sunday and came upon a day old maybe 2 turkey kill. Feathers and blood. Tracks all around in the snow. But couldn't get them howling or anything that day either. Any advice?

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:55:52 PM »
Rule #1:  They have to be there in order to call them.  Just because they were there a couple days ago, they may not be there today.  Chances are, they have been pressured all year with callers.  Try some sounds that are a little unconventional that most people may not think of trying.  Instead of using a cottontail...try a snow shoe hare or bird sounds.

Play on their curiosity verses their hunger......  Less is more.  Call for only a minute then wait for a longer period of time....Patience.  Give it an hours on each set.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:06:42 PM by Misterjake23 »
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline skookhunter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 09:19:59 PM »
Ruke #1:  They have to be there in order to call them.  Just because they were there a couple days ago, they may not be there today.  Chances are, they have been pressured all year with callers.  Try some sounds that are a little unconventional that most people may not think of trying.  Instead of using a cottontail...try a snow shoe hare or bird sounds.

Play on their curiosity verses their hunger......  Less is more.  Call for only a minute then wait for a longer period of time....Patience.  Give it an hours on each set.

Thank you. As for being pressured that consists of me and a handful of my buddy's. But after rifle season I'm pretty much the only one there. We have a spot that most won't drive to because of the road and the only other way to get where we are would be to park 3 miles away and walk in. Couple of dozers, haul trucks and triaxles are out that way daily so all of the game is used to that noise.

How often will they make rounds on their territory?

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:08:52 PM »
Depends on food supply, and even mateing season can affect the frequency.
Jake
York, PA

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 11:31:41 PM »
I'd get back out there every chance you got.
Id bring some turkey decoys too, set them out where they can see them. Hopefully you e caller has turkey yelps and purs.
If they frequent that area, its only a matter of time before they show up.
Do you think they bed up there or hunt?
If they killed that turkey, Id say they were there during daylight hours

Offline skookhunter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 11:53:14 PM »
I'd get back out there every chance you got.
Id bring some turkey decoys too, set them out where they can see them. Hopefully you e caller has turkey yelps and purs.
If they frequent that area, its only a matter of time before they show up.
Do you think they bed up there or hunt?
If they killed that turkey, Id say they were there during daylight hours

I'm going back out tomarrow night. I have a turkey decoy but my caller does not have any turkey calls. I suck at the mouth diaphragms so i dunno. I think I will be able to make it out before dusk but if not I'll be out in the dark. Do U start right off with a howl? What if it's still light out?

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 04:38:08 AM »
I usually only howel if they are howeling.  Then I try to mimic the sounds that they are making or just a few female whimpers.

I like the Turkey decoy idea.  many Yotes are called in during turkey season soming in to turkey hunters calling trukeys.
Jake
York, PA

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 10:27:04 AM »
I always start with prey sounds.
Imo its less likely to scare or intimidate a coyote with a prey sound verses coyote vocals. they would be less cautious Also, I would think.

I really dont know if coyotes know that turkeys dont "come out" at night, so after dark calling sounds would be up to you.

Offline skookhunter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 03:05:51 PM »
Well tonight I'm gonna try again in a diff area. Hopefully they know that tomarrow temp is gonna be in the 20's and some ice and snow. Maybe they will move. I hope they will move.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
Best of luck to you ;)

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 06:52:20 PM »
Don't worry about not being good on a diaphragm, that coyote won't know you aren't  ;D

I agree with Bob on the day/night thing too.  Plus with the amount of fisher and bobcats we have nowadays, they have probably heard a turkey distress at night by now.

they like to move around, hit'm hard while they're there

Good luck

Offline skookhunter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 09:46:07 AM »
Well the weather got the best of me and I didn't go out. I am feining to drop one of these pricks. I just want to see one. Lol. Anything. Even if one hangs up at 300 yards just to see some predator movement.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »
just to see some predator movement.

AAAHHHH predator hunting.............
Those coyotes always make me leave my ego at the truck