Author Topic: White light tips  (Read 4411 times)

Offline RyanX

• Junior Forum Member
White light tips
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:13:05 AM »
hey guys, This season I am going to try out using white lights after having a hard time picking fox out in my scope last season. I know some of you guys use white lights so I am asking for some tips. What kind of light your using( i.e LED, halogen, handheld, belt)? Are you guys using a dimmer switch? How bright do you keep the light when scanning?

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: White light tips
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:19:30 AM »
L E D Use It The Same As Your Red lights

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 01:27:23 PM »
Sounds like your red lights weren't that bright! Another option is to check out EW Calls, Ernie has the brightest light on the market this year.   With one of his head lights I purchased I had no trouble positively identifying a deer at 320+ yds and his magnum shoot light is 4x that bright! Just throwing out some options for ya!
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline RyanX

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 03:58:03 PM »
The problem wasn't that it wasn't bright enough but, that it was too bright and it was washing the fox out.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 04:51:12 PM »
What red light were you using that is to bright.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 07:13:09 PM »
Might Not Be The Light Might Be That They Cought Your Scent Or You Casted A Shadow

Offline RyanX

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 07:32:17 PM »
I was using the green 250 kill light, the red fox was at 60 yards and the light caused to blended in with the grass.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 07:56:12 PM »
That light is not bright enough in some conditions,  That is just one of the same reason I make a more powerful light. So you can see clearly now with red light. Red light helps not spook critters and helps keep your night vision.
 I had a coyote at 60 yards in spotty brown grass with a red light light and could not make it out clearly until it ran across a open patch. No shot taken. That will not happen again.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 11:25:29 PM »
"The Light at the end of the tunnel!"

You have to use the white light just the right way! Any thing done wrong and it's over!

IMO where they work:

Hunting farms illuminated with white lights around barns!
When you use the bottom of the white beam to light up an animal!
When you turn the light on suddenly you have to shoot the beam over the horizon and drop the beam down to ill inset it with bottom of beam! Hitting them suddenly with the full white beam in total darkness they run away!
Lastly keep your white shooting light on at all times. When the predator steps out in the field the white light coming on suddenly don't scare them! They think it's lights from roads, houses, livestock area!

What do I use:  a Carnivore 5 red light on my scope turned on when calling. Gun in tripod.
A red led on my head! 2 lights!

Remember the red LEDs also make you stealth. Wind in your face and standing behind the two red LEDs make you invisible to the targeted animal! Why would you want to use a white light when red makes you stealth?
Intermingling two colors might not work to make you stealth!?????

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 11:31:26 PM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 06:16:27 AM »
I have allready called in triples on greys in the northern tier and they had no issue with the white light. Been using white for a few years now and have not had any drop in callins.  Run it as you would a red light and have fun. This sport is supposed to be fun. Don't make it complicated. Scout make sure there are animals there and call it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:17:37 AM by bigben »
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 09:22:01 AM »
Any sailor on here that has gone to sea will tell you! While on the ships bridge all white light is turned off and red light illuminates the area where the ship is navigated .
Three reasons:  so you can see the maps and equipment without glare.
Other ships can't see you on the bridge.
So every sailor on the bridge aren't blinded by white light.

Now Ben did touch on something very important:
The animal being hunted:  Gray Fox and coon are not impacted as much by white light.
Also the few bobcat I have called in are not impacted that much either.
However My experience revealed that red fox and coyotes are impacted by the white light.

Now there is another factor to take into consideration:
Moon phase:  if the full moon is out you also can use the white instead of red.
Dennis Kirk recommends using yellow during full moon. Yellow is so close to white.
I don't like yellow or white because all animals eyes are the same color. White like diamonds.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:23:33 AM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 11:42:19 AM »
Also have called doubles on both reds and coyotes.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 03:04:47 PM »
After archery hunting saturday, I was crossing a field to leave and with my white stream light that I use to watch out for ghog hole in the dark and scanning to see what deer are on the other side from where I hunt, I noticed a set of green eyes and a set of red eyes! Green being deer and red being a fox. The deer stayed where it was but the fox didn't stick around to long.
Darin Hosier
Pro Staff

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 05:38:31 PM »
If you shine white into a predators eyes you get white back not red. Just saying

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 06:24:49 PM »
I saw green eyes on the deer and red on the fox just sayin. When I drive down the road and see green eyes next to the road at night it's always a deer, coincident I think not!
Darin Hosier
Pro Staff