Author Topic: Bob Cat  (Read 6053 times)

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Bob Cat
« on: December 02, 2012, 12:16:43 PM »
I'm thinking of getting my bob cat permit this year.  Anyone have any idea the best WMU to goto?
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Bob Cat
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:10:56 PM »
2G has a lot of cats.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 10:51:08 AM »
I got mine last year in 4D. I plan to trap some there again this year and do some calling if I can't find one to trap. Last year I got lots of trail camera pictures of them. This year I haven't got any but my cameras haven't been out since a week or so before deer season. After deer season, I plan to put a couple on some trails where I thing bobcats might be traveling if they are around.

Offline recurve

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 02:31:48 PM »
Got mine for the first time this year, just wish they were in on Sundays like fox and yotes. My luck I'll be out on a Sunday and have a cat come in.

Offline jimneye

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 09:37:22 AM »
I thought they were any hour day or night.  but then again Im usually wrong 90% of the time and the other 12% dont matter. 
I would like to offer the services of my God given talent to anyone who has anything they need lost or broken.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »
You are not allowed to hunt cats sunday. Trapping is fine tho
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 11:21:55 PM »
Page 73 of the book states "bobcats may be hunted any hour,day or night, except during the regular antlered or antlered/anterless deer seasons."

I also looked at the PA Game Comission site and it doesn't state anything about not hunting for them on sunday.  It does state it for possum,skunk, and weasel.

I don't see where it says you can't hunt them on sunday.  If I am missing something I'd like to know since I have always thought you could hunt them on sundays.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:29:07 PM by shadowchaser »
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline recurve

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 07:08:32 AM »
 Called them (game commision) last week and was told that you can't hunt them on Sundays, reason I called was on page 73 of regs. it states that fox and yotes can be hunted on Sundays, and coon can't but doesn't really say anything about cats, hope this helps and maybe they should clarify it a little better.

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 10:44:04 AM »
This is the reason for a good portion of violations.  They really just need to open hunting up on sunday anyways.
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »
I few terms ago our president looked into changing the language in the book to allow bobcat hunting and coon on Sundays . The biologist stated that the cat population was not strong enough to support it. And they also said that it would be in advisable to fight for coon on Sundays because it would be a waste of our time

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 06:09:30 PM »
its good to have a group like ours that can decipher the laws when the actual lawbook can't.
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 02:15:16 PM »
I think it spells it out in the game code. I'll take a look at home tonight
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxfx

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 10:14:38 AM »
I agree Sunday hunting for should be legal for all furbearers.  I know of a certain unnamed person  ;) who one time shot a coon at 1am Sunday morning while he was out red lighting.  It wasn't until a time later that this person ;) realized that this actually wasn't legal.  You can dispatch a coon in a trap, but can't shoot them on Sundays.   I mean.... what on earth moved them to allow fox hunting on Sunday and not other critters.  The PGC is not very consistent with their laws.  And why is there a crow season and laws about which days of the week you can shoot em?

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 11:05:05 AM »
I believe crows are governed as federal just as waterfowl is.
as far as coon hunting on sundays, I wonder if it has something to do with coon hounds baying at night, granted, a rifle shot at a fox or coyote would be sure to wake the farmer up at night.
Its hard to say who they had in mind when drafting the rules, or what group petitioned, for what reason as they were being thought of.

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 12:19:06 PM »
I had the same thought on the dogs, but then you can hunt yotes on sunday with dogs.
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1