Author Topic: Coyote Hunting East Texas style  (Read 7031 times)

uncle buck

Coyote Hunting East Texas style
« on: September 07, 2011, 01:59:10 PM »

There is some excellent videos to watch here.. Macprowler just put two new clips.  They have a TV show that they air all up and down the East Texas coast.. I enjoy the commercials just as much as the actual hunt.. Areas look like some of the areas we hunt in Pa.. This would be in the Eastern Pine area of the state..

I puchased one of their predator calling videos a few weeks back and I have learned a few things that I will be using in Pennsylvania to hunt bobcat and coyotes..

http://www.macandprowler.com/Videos.html

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
Re: Coyote Hunting East Texas style
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:16:22 PM »
Pretty good stuff. I enjoyed it thanks for sharing.

Ryan.
District 4

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 09:20:05 PM »
I just got back from hunting with Mac and Prowler in East Texas.....Learned quite a few things from them and they learned some night hunting techniques from me too..I'm going to start to use decoys more here in Pa especially in the daytime and at night too..  Outstanding how the coyotes and all the other predators acted to the sound and the decoys.  I was quite impressed with how using both together accomplished coyotes to come in close and fast..

I hunted with them 4 different times and we called in 12 coyotes,  2 coon, and one bobcat... We also jumped 3 different coyotes while walking in and driving in too... Also one bobcat not the one we called in was laying in the grass and took off as Prowler open up gate to allow the vehicle to pass in.

I also hunted with family for predators in the Red River and Sulfur River area of Arkansas and in Texas too...

I got my first Texas coyote with Deadcoyote T shot. 

Mac and Prowler are  outstanding people and seasoned predator callers too.  They sure know how to make a person feel right at home and the Southern Hospitality was great!!!!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 09:49:25 PM »
That sure sounds like a good time UB.Is hunting down there all that different than your home turf?

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 10:23:44 PM »
Yes it is...A lot different.  for example they hunt with the wind in their face all the time and they place the electronics (Speaker facing into the wind)  and the MOJO decoy 30 steps out in front of them..   They don't worry about the down wind side since they figure that you will get busted anyway by any predators that get down wind of you.

On one stand we had 6 coyotes come in all at the same time.  We were sitting on the ground with the MOJO decoy on top of the fence post and the electronic caller on the ground... The speaker and the MOJO was not more then 10 yards to our side because of the barbed wire fence in front of us... Had it not been there the call would have been placed 30 paces in front of us...  the coyotes were honed in on the sound and looking at the MOJO decoy spinning... We were in full camo so they didn't see us sitting up against a barbed wire fence..

The coyotes come in fast too.. The first two to three minutes of calling...The rabbit was deadly of course as was the coyote pup thrown in.  Truly it was the decoys that outsmarted the coyotes.  I was so impressed with the decoys that I'm going to use them from now on for daytime calling and even at night... Coyotes honed in on them at night too...I hunted on the ground and I hunted sitting on top of a truck on a platform at night...

The coyote I shot with the T  shot deadcoyote came running in fast from behind me, Passed me and stood over the decoy and speaker. Of course I could not shoot it then since I would have blown up Mac caller and MOJO decoy.   It was the speaker the spooked the coyote not us sitting not more then 30 yards from it and it took off... That is when I flipped it with a shot of the T shot deadcoyote about + 40 yards away..   

I was real impressed with their electronic caller too..  It was the best I ever heard.  Sounds were just perfect and if I was going to buy another electronic caller it would be that particular one for sure.....
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:26:52 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 12:27:10 AM »
If you watch this video you can see how they use the MOJO decoy right with the electronic caller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNPSbIVrpCI&feature=player_embedded#!

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 10:22:29 AM »
That does sound like a good time UB. Thanks for sharing. You said about using a decoy at night. One night I put the decoy out  and called in a coyote in and as soon as i seen its eyes coming(about 350 Yards away) in it locked on the decoy and was at the decoy before I knew it. Did not get a shoot off It came in that fast and never paid any mind to the light force on full brightness either. If I was carring a shotgun I would had a lot better chance of getting off a shot. The decoy does wook good at night be ready!

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 04:10:51 PM »
Brushwolf   I know what you mean... So nice to experience things and then you know for sure what is true. Yep you can use a decoy on a pitch dark night and the predator is going to see it.. Once the coyote locks in on the sound and the decoy they are going to come in. Looks like the Jack In The Box is going on many a night time predator hunt now...

Also...I can see why Johnny Stewart cheaper Preymaster with the wired speaker would work great in some parts of the country.  Figure  set it up at thirty paces facing into the wind and you sitting with that hand held JS Preymaster in your hands and wind into your face would work excellent.  You can buy extra wire to take the JSPM out an additional 15 yards. I can see now that maybe in Pa I felt the wired Preymaster was for the rifleperson. However hunting in Texas it would be outstanding just how they set up for most of their calling in the Pinewoods. 

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 04:23:55 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 05:57:44 AM »
Uncle Buck, all in all, how many critters did you guys actually kill?
I read you killed one. Any more? Anyone else kill anything?

Talk about a 'homemade decoy...
I was calling in northcentral Montana with our son. We saw 2 Coyotes coming from a long distance.
They were head'n our way for some time and finally did a stop-looksee 150+ yards away.
I saw movement outa the corner of my eye and noticed our son  (about 30 yards from me) laying in the prone position, waving a glove as a decoy. He got the fleabags attention so I could make the shot.
I don't recommend using a glove decoy, but in this case, at this situation, the glove was a smart move.

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Just received word that Macandprowler will be having their predator calling show on National TV.  There predator hunting is like some of Pa terrain... Their hunts are in the North Eastern or Pine forest of Texas...I will post the specifics on times.. I know they are going to start airing the show Nationally on Saturday!!! 

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 07:50:52 PM »
UB what network?
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 12:25:27 AM »
Here is the broadcasting company that will air it.  don't know yet if any broadcast will be in Pa.  They should be loading the channel to this web link info soon for their show: 

http://www.buckforagetv.com/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:29:56 AM by uncle buck »