Author Topic: Do you hunt on private or public land?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
Do you hunt on private or public land?
« on: November 14, 2010, 07:43:41 PM »
Curious to see what most folks on here do. 
Chris Deckard  District 2

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
Re: Do you hunt on private or public land?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 10:28:51 PM »
Good idea for a poll. :)

I wish you would have noted what we were hunted for... I think it may have changed some of the results.  Well, that is if it's a general across the board (everything we hunt question)... all never mind.  Good idea for a poll. :) :)

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 07:43:18 AM »
Ok, lets say predators since this is the PPHA.  Where are you hunting Coyote, Fox, Bobcat, and Coons?

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:09:32 AM »
it all depends on the critter as curt said.  but down home I hunt a mix of 50/50 public/private.  if I hunt upstate I hunt mostly public land unless I am invited up by another member and we hunt his ground. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 11:13:41 AM »
How would you rate you're success hunting on Private land vs Public?

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 02:00:57 PM »
Success rates for me, 80 percent Private, 20 percent public
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 02:11:33 PM »
So far this year I have called in one coon and three reds on private and one grey on public ground.  the public ground isn't always a constant producer but those locations down home produce a couple critters a year which makes me want to go back to them.  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:11:56 PM by bigben »
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 02:27:55 PM »
So far I have called in 11 fox (Grays and Reds),  4  coon and 3 coyotes but it could have been more...sounded like a pack of them but only could confirm 3..  All on private land... I have killed predators on public land too...I stick to night time only and prefer to hunt later on after the Christmas Holidays..  When I travel to NEPA and not hunt with a friend I hunt on all public lands...Seems like all I call in are coyotes.. Can't remember even calling in a gray fox or coon yet in NEPA public lands...

Coyotes you never know just where they are going to show up...however in NEPA I do hunt the mountains and not farm areas for them..
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:32:02 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 02:37:43 PM »
If NEPA stands for North eastern PA, you should let me know next time you go.  I'd like to hook up and maybe learn a few things from an experienced predator hunter UB.

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 02:43:07 PM »
Yep it NEPA..See I was born and raised in Wilkes-Barre, Pa...So  thanks to that I know many of the public lands to hunt there...Some I fished in the PGL ponds when I was 5 years old..  Dang that was 57 years ago....