Author Topic: Coyote bait  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
Coyote bait
« on: October 25, 2010, 09:34:19 AM »
Anyone here use bait for hunting predators?
Chris Deckard  District 2

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Coyote bait
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 01:23:36 PM »
Once in a while when I have at least a week to tend to it. 
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 02:07:48 PM »
Why a week?  If I leave bait out at night by morning its gone, by coon, coyote, fox or somethin.  What are you using?  I normally hang squirrel carcasses out.

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 02:38:45 PM »
If you establish a feeding area, over time, they will put this area on their radar. They will frequent it often. I did this with all the groundhogs that I shoot and have been using this same area for years. Sometimes I don't get to hunting as much as I would like but over this past year I sporadically placed them in the same spot and were gone the next day.
Now this may sound weird but I use the quad to haul them to the area. I believe that they know the sound and I follow a certain path so to speak. So when just not care'n what the deal is I make my rounds and leave the field and circle around on top of the hill and sneak back to a vantage point where I can see the spot. I have seen some pretty funny things going on at that spot from time to time.

ps..... roadkill will work if the hogs are not to be found.  ;D

Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 03:08:05 PM »
I use deer carcass from butchered deer.  I Cut everything into pieces that fit into 5 gallon buckets.  Add warm water to loosen up the blood and freeze solid.  Anchor to a tree with cable that I froze into the bucket and around a bone.  This all works better in the colder months when food is more scairce and my stuff doesn't thaw to quick.

You may have more coyotes than I do.  Sometimes they find it in a week and some times a day.  I like to establish that there is food there for them without any pressure so I don't visit it but in the day time and from a distance.  Once I establish they are using it frequently, I set up in the evening because thats when the coyotes where I hunt come into feed.

If I don't anchor it or freeze it, other critters will eat everything before the coyotes or drag it off somewhere I don't know where it is.  I have had Bears, Bobcats, Crows, Buzzards, Eagles, Fox, Raccoon and various other critters visit and steal everything.

I also don't like to put the bait in the wide open.  The Coyotes get real nervous in the open and don't stick around but a couple seconds.  Once they find it I move it into the laurel or bush more.  If you give them a comfortable approach in some cover you will be better off.  Keep in mind I only do this once a year so I am not an expert.  I got the idea and some of the method from Andrew Lewand who wrote about it in Predator Extreme some time ago. 
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 03:20:32 PM »
When first establishing an area, it helps to elevate the food source. After the area is established, it's on their radar and they will check it. Unless they are pressured it can be a daily routine just like check'n the mailbox. ;D
Whatado !!!!
District 6

Renny

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 05:14:36 PM »
I have dead piles scattered all over the county.  Its also nice to know where the farmers dump dead cows and calves.

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 05:24:22 PM »
I received permission today to hunt on a 7acre farm right up the street today.  The farmer has exotic cows and two bulls.  I walked thepermiter of the electric fence today and saw many many ground hogs holes and downed trees that look ideal for fox dens.  The farmer says there are some nice big reds around.  I asked him if he ever saw coyote and he said he hasnt but a hand has.  He told me that something urinated on his truck tire the other day.  I know dogs do that, but we both agreed there aren't any dogs running around here.  Would a coyote do that to mark territory?

100 yards from me is a large golf course where I have seen fox.  I am trying to access this property for night hunting.  Owner (women) said her husband missed one the other night.  This would be golden if I get permission.  Could just walk out of my house and up the road 200 yards right into the course.

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 08:10:12 PM »
I can picture it now.............caddyshack 2. ;D ;D ;D
Whatado !!!!
District 6