Author Topic: Which way do you go?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline chiefz28

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Which way do you go?
« on: January 24, 2010, 07:15:18 PM »
ok so your out scouting and there's some snow on the gound.and you come across some coyote tracks. And u want to try and find a little out about this coyote. so you decide to get on the tracks and try to learn a little more about this coyote. My question is which way do go? Do you see where he is heading or do you where he came from?What are your thoughts this was something that crossed my mind.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Which way do you go?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 07:21:19 PM »
i think you would learn more about his natural movents if you backtracked him, if you follow him it will turn into a chase situation.   

Offline chiefz28

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 07:47:09 PM »
well good point I actually thought that about following as well if by chance it was any where close,thanks

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
depends on my mind set...if i'm purely scouting..than i go upstream. if i have a gun in hand and up for the challenge...i go down stream.
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 12:55:29 AM »
Check the tracks...If the tracks are checking out all the brush piles then that coyote is hunting and may be in the area.. You can call it in. if the tracks are going from Point A to Point B....The coyote is traveling and could be just passing through the area.....

Remember Coyotes like deer have their own core areas...Now if you could find just where the Core area is in relation to the tracks.. You might be able to sneak in before sun up and catch it when it returns back to the core area for safety...Where are Core Areas usually? swamps, and along rivers and streams......
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:56:08 AM by uncle buck »