Author Topic: Woman reports seeing mountain lion near her house  (Read 2987 times)

Offline nitelight

• Junior Forum Member
Woman reports seeing mountain lion near her house
« on: August 04, 2006, 03:26:37 PM »
Article in today's August 4, 2006 issue of the Harrisburg- The Patriot-News local & State section. Here is a brief summary from some of the information from the article.
Check www.pennlive.com to read the complete article.

A woman called the Harrisburg Patriot- News office after she saw a story this past Sunday about a horse that was attacked in upper Dauphin County, by what some believe was a mountain lion.

The woman reports that it was a sunny afternoon in early June, when she looked out the window of her den and couldn't believe what she was seeing. It was she believes, a big mountain lion. She lives across the street from the Franklin Township municipal building on Century Lane, about two miles south of Dillsburg. This area is located not to far from the York/Adams County line. She had just finished walking her dog when she spotted it. There were a couple of children riding a bicycle coming down the road. She was concerned for their safety. They, nor did any one else see it. It just kept going towards a row of trees. The police were called, but could not find nothing.
The woman said she is sticking to her story. "I saw what I saw,"she said" I'm not crazy, I wasn't drinking and I wasn't on medication. I saw a mountain lion.

Offline Harry Sigafoo

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 07:49:00 PM »
I've never seen a UFO or big foot.  I do not believe that mountain lions inhabit Penns-Woods any longer.

But last fall/winter one evening while driving home in a highly populated suburban area of SW PA, I saw an animal that looked "very much like a mountain lion".  It was chasing 5 deer across the blacktop road, and ran within 25 foot of my car.  It was NOT a bobcat, nor a house cat.  It didn't look nor run like a dog or K-9 creature.

I'd like to believe it was a lion, but remember I don't believe there are any here.  I just don't know.

One explanation is the loonies that release wild/pets into the woods/streams.  We do have Talapia in the Mon River due to Asian thinking releasing a fish when you kill and eat one, is good luck.

Harry

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 04:34:10 PM »
We do have Talapia in the Mon River due to Asian thinking releasing a fish when you kill and eat one, is good luck.

where do they winter over?... tilapia won't handle our cold winters... is there a power plant nearby they can get into warm water?... if they're established already they make excellent targets for bowfishermen and excellent eating too...

years back when the fish farm was behind Brunners island the ones that escaped could be caught on lettuce folded up on a double or treble hook... easy to catch... ran in big schools, waited till they came up and threw right into the school... fought good too
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

BP

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 05:11:07 PM »
The Mon river has plenty of power plants along the banks.  There may be other industry that provides warm water discharge too.

Offline Harry Sigafoo

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 02:23:58 PM »
Dale,

they are catching them at the bridge pillings, down the Mon around Mckeesport area.  I understand they are in the 1 pound class; which makes me wonder it they are river born from released stock.
I understand that the PAF&BC was going to net them and "neuter" them so they could not breed.  Seems to me from a government cost standard they should just kill them and use for cat food.

In Pittsburgh  Wholes fish market are selling thousands of pounds of "live" tilpia per month?????

Good fishing.

Harry

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 11:50:16 PM »
ya'll need to be catching them up, at $6.99/lb to be able to catch them for free is a bargain... wish they hadn't killed off the ones in the Susquehanna...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...