Author Topic: Why am I addicted to the rifle?  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Why am I addicted to the rifle?
« on: November 05, 2009, 10:03:14 PM »
Hit three spots tonight.  The third spot I knew that I should use the shotgun because of it only being safe for rifle shots in one direction but I just can't seem to put the rifle down...it is just so darn loveable.  Needless to say I found a fox in my lap in the corn stubble ten yards away sneaking in to me and I couldn't shoot.  The bugger went all the way around me passing through all the non shooting sides to catch my wind.  As it took off and headed to my shooting spot I let one go and it was a bit high.  That bugger would have been dead three times with the shotgun.  On second thought, I wouldn't change a thing.   ;D

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Why am I addicted to the rifle?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 05:56:44 AM »
I would say your comfortable with it is all.  nothing wrong with that.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 07:13:58 AM »
I got the same problem. ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 08:21:39 AM »
90% of the time I use a shotgun and 95% of the time when I take a rifle I should have brought the shotgun instead. It all depends on how you hunt. They all have a purpose. The rifle gives you a feeling of confidence that if one hangs up you still got the chance to take it. My experiences has showed me that the way I hunt a rifle has cost me more predators than it has ever gotten me.
FayetteNam

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 08:20:41 AM »
So I went out for two stands last night and made myself use the shotgun.  I left the rifle home so I wouldn't be tempted.  Well, I lost my first ever fox using it  :-[  never shot one and didn't get it before.  It was not the guns fault...it was mine but it does make me think that I wouild get more but also ahve a higher potential to lose more forx hit with the shotgun.  I was using 4 buckshot.  Fox came across a 200 acre picked corn field into my lap.  My mistake was not shooting sooner...it was about 35 yards and I decided to let it come into around 20 but as it hit that mark it nailed me and did  beline.  I shot as it was running at about 40 yards and it tumbled over and I could see its eyes flasingi in my light as it rolled around.  I was pretty sure I killed the fox but it was not there or anywhere when I went over to retrieve it.   :'(.  I think with my 17 centerfire they are gonners if hit but I probably would have more hits or partial hits with the shotgun.  I blew it folks!   >:(

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 05:38:38 PM »
The proper thing to do is read the land...Safety is one of the big thing when electing to take the shotgun from the vehicle instead of the rifle.  Carry both...Make sure your car or vehicle is locked so someone does not break in and steal it off you....

Calling in the early season......The shotgun might be better since the corn is up and the soybean is up yet.  Your visual area is small...Once the corn gets cut you can start to use the rifle.

Also remember this too....Most times you have to intercept the predator when using the shotgun...They have to come past you or near your stand...  Rifle.....You just have to get them to come in and show themselves at about 100 yards... Even the JS Preymaster that is not remote controlled is an excellent riflemens caller.  Get the fox to just move into rifle range....Mouth calling is outstanding for the riflemen too......Shotgunner you almost have to know how a predator acts....Kind of figure where he or she will come to the call.

Remember this most times......Predators will enter into the wind to scent the prey distress sound...Also they will get in direct line with the loudest part of the speaker or mouth caller...If you know this...now set up at that proper spot to intercept that red, gray, coyote, coon...

Your a mammal......The predators are mammals...Now just start to think like them......

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 08:30:34 PM »
On second thought...I did tumble one with the .17 last year on Christmas night that I could not find...

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 10:07:51 PM »
This weekend I had the pleasure of hunting using one of Ernie Wilson's shooting tri-pods . And I can say anyone that is going to use a rifle for hunting needs one. After shooting off it while standing and putting 2 shoots touching each other at around 80 yrds. its like your sitting and shooting from a bench rest but your able to be standing up. Plus since the rifle will sit on the rest with out any worry of it falling off there is no need of trying to hold the gun while calling making it simple while using hand calls.
 Like some at first I was like I don't want something else to have to carry but with it being light weight and simple to use even with alot of the spots hunting while using it being 1/4 mile or more back in its not hard to see how the advantages out weigh any disadvantage .
PPHA District 3