Author Topic: Some suspect mountain lion in horse attack  (Read 3517 times)

Offline nitelight

• Junior Forum Member
Some suspect mountain lion in horse attack
« on: July 30, 2006, 10:40:43 PM »
An article appeared in todays July 30, 2006 local & state section of the Harrisburg newspaper; The Patriot-News in regard to some residents in upper Dauphin County insisting they've had encounteters with mountain lion. Here is a brief rundown of the article.

One incident under investigation by the PGC took place July 10 in upper Dauphin County. Residents believe it's possible that a mountain lion attacked a horse around 1 a.m. The article goes on to say the beast jumped on the horse and the horse just went berserk. Three family members said the noise woke them up and they never heard anything like it.

Three other sightings from people who live along the same mountain have been reported. The latest sighting was last week at about 7 a.m. when a guy looked out his back window and saw a mountain lion in his hayfield.

Game commission officials said it was unlikely that a mountain lion attacked the horse. The official said that they have not had any confirmed reports of cougars in Pennsylvania in many years. The official said he isn't familiar with the incident. but said it's "99.9 percent unlikely" a mountain lion was involved. "Bears have attacked horses in the past. That's my opinion. It's all speculation right now", the official said.

The land owner is awaiting officials' determination of animal foot-prints lifted from his property.

The horse is expected to recover from the attack after a series of rabies shots.  

The Patriot-News site - www.pennlive.com

Offline Two-0-four

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 03:24:21 PM »
Their going to deny the existince of big cats in this state to the very end! :evil:
Even after somebody shoots one the PGC will say it was brought in, tied up and shot for propaganda reasons.  :lol:

Offline sly_vixen

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 09:04:18 PM »
You're correct about that!  deny...deny...deny

Offline Harry Sigafoo

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 02:30:32 PM »
I remember when they denied coyotes in PA.  Now they officially say they have been here for centuries; and they didn't come in from western states.

As usual you can't trust anth thing they say.  If they don't know something they should know.  they deny or just make up an answer.

I reported egales nesting in Geneva swamp in the early 1960s.  they said I'd seen a redtail and the only eagles were in the Linesville game management area.  Years later the Audabon reported it and they said "we knew that".

I'd guess that if there are lions in PA today that they did come from "stocked/released" animals.  With so many farms out of business, there is certainly a habitate niche for them.

Harry

Harry

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 04:40:08 PM »
Harry, where do you live? i see you made mention of the Geneva Swamp...i live in Meadville, if your still in the area and lookin to pardner up for a hunt.
just curious.

~Woody
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock