Author Topic: Hunting Eastern Coyotes With Cockseys Army  (Read 7681 times)

uncle buck

Re: Hunting Eastern Coyotes With Cockseys Army
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 11:58:28 AM »
When I hunt in Northeastern Pa.....This is what I have notice.....On my way at night to hunt at my particular hunting spots..  If after the deer season I see deer feeding along the roads...That is where I called in the coyotes...On the negative side....Driving in no deer seen at night along the roads..Also no coyotes either called in....

So if you know a place that the deer yard up...AKA Core areas after the deer hunting season....That would  be the places to take the shots in the dark so to speak and try for coyotes...  No hill, ravine, or lay of the land like you described is a sure thing for coyotes to be there.
However on this forum there is a 1 hour plus Youtube video of a women that did reserach in N. H......Watch that video for the entire hour or so....It's well worth it and She does confirm that coyote core areas tend to be near water and in swamps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYLY4WSp3Fs&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eppha%2Eus%2Fsmf%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D2855%2E0&feature=player_embedded

Also like Hern said you have to know their Patterns.......If the coyotes are not there they are not going to feed on the bait... However I know of a place that the coyotes were there for sure...People chanined meat to trees.  The coyotes came in twice before morining and ripped the meat right off of the trees...The chained another carcass of meat...Same thing happened.  However see the coyotes were there......
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 12:00:49 PM by uncle buck »

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 06:23:53 AM »
Hey Uncle Buck... I do have a siren on my fox pro and it is the real deal...makes me look for the cops when I hear it play.   ;).  I have used it but never got a howl back.  Do you think coyotes in more populated parts of the state like where I am would adapt to not howl to sirens or during the day as an adaptive mechanism to save their hide so to speak or do you think they will howl back without regard because they just can't help themselves in any habitat or locale? end quote)

Coyotes howl at the siren just like a turkey will shock gobble at a loud noise,  the siren hits the right note or the cadence of the sound sets them off.  Like turkeys, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  I have never played the siren and heard coyotes from where i was calling, but have had better luck with two or three people listening from over a mile away in different directions from the calling location. 

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:26:26 AM by scott »

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 10:46:56 PM »
Went out tonight Uncle Buck using your strategy and nothing except a Great Horned Owl landing nearby and a screech owl responding to the coyote locator call.  Also drove five miles arond the entire area with the siren and no response.  I think perhaps they just are not where I am hunting.

uncle buck

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 12:02:10 AM »
You need to tell people that allow you to hunt on their lands  if they hear howling to call you ASAP.

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
We need a few more coyote in PA  ;D

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 07:04:31 PM »
I'll bring some coyotes back from Wyoming. LOL

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 08:27:02 PM »
hope you get some and have a safe trip.

Why you wanna bring the mangy things home though?

hangem up there kin will eat them.

the pictures will be fine got to write ppha beside them though to qualify.

im starting in a few weeks going to stick my tennis ball squeaker in its mouth for the picture.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 08:29:21 PM by TROPHIESONLY »