Author Topic: The 221 Fireball  (Read 2218 times)

uncle buck

The 221 Fireball
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:58:38 AM »
What is the impact on fur when hit with this caliber?  what are the pro and con for this caliber for all of our predators in Pa?  If it's like the 17 Fireball but with just a 22 cal bullet it might be an option?  I have not looked at the ballistics but if it fits somewhere in between the 22 Hornet and the 223 Rem then if might be a good fur bullet????

Offline 221 Fireball

• Junior Forum Member
Re: The 221 Fireball
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »
  ;D Well UB  i'm kinda partial to this caliber! I've got 2 of them in 700 Remington's and enjoy them both. My Fox rifle I loaded down, and I haven't  tore any fur totally apart. I killed a Red last Friday night at 27 steps. A chest shot straght on slightly angled bullet exit just behind leg gave me around a nickel size exit wound. That was with a Sierra 45 gr. fbsp around 2600 fps. I like it for fox with that load! It's an accurate cartridge, reloader friendly I know of hunters in my area that use their Fireballs for deer and they kill em. I've read articles that guys use them out to 300 yds in the dog towns out west, with good results. Look at the calibers origin chambered in the Remington XP 100 bolt action pistol. Everbody that I know that had one of these pistol/rifles wish they still had them. Nosler volume 6 manual has the 40 gr. ballitic tip pushing 3259 with IMR 4198. And the 55 gr. ballistic tip at 2929 with AA2015. Properly placed shot at reasonable distances it should do it. And for serious reloaders you'll never run out of brass, if you have 222 or 223 brass set a sizing die up get some Imperial sizing wax and you've got 221 brass.  I like mine and it works for me. Can't knock a Hornet, I had one years ago and wish I had another.

Offline 221 Fireball

• Junior Forum Member
Re: The 221 Fireball
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 08:50:09 PM »
U B P.M. sent