Author Topic: mink trapping question  (Read 2472 times)

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
mink trapping question
« on: September 11, 2014, 11:45:46 PM »
Hey guys

Decided to go and try for some mink this year for something different to do in addition to calling.. Got a dozen 110s, built some boxes too..not sure I'll use them but they were easy/cheap to build so...also planned on trying the monofilament "loop" off the trigger wires set up. Have some nice feeder streams I know hold mink close to the house and I'm confident I can put it all together ..anyhow, guess my question is, I also saw the #50s or 55s that have the 3.5" jaws and they had me curious on how they'd work for mink...I know the 110s are a sure bet but was intrigued by the other ones for some reason..but maybe smaller jaw smaller catch odds?? Just interested in targeting the mink possible muskrat.  I've never trapped before so I'm all ears.. thanks
PPHA President

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: mink trapping question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 06:26:25 AM »
I don't own 55's. I think the 55 was made with the Mink trapper in mind. As you said, they are smaller, but 'fit' in Mink trails and smaller opening because they are compact. They are used for 'small', 'tight' spots.
I now use 110's for bottom edge sets on stream beds. Rarely I use them on land, because I use footholds for Mink nowadays.
I don't use boxes for Mink.
Years back, I set 110's on land, and used a few Mink boxes. I've set enough of these and enough years to give you some feedback on my experiences and observations. Although my style changed over the years.

I was using 110's years back and was having trouble catching Mink in them. I wasn't having trouble catching 'em with footholds at the same time.
I told a friend, Russ, of my troubles with Mink not going thru my 110's. He said he was videoing some sets and noticed how the 'black, dyed', 110's stood out in tan weeds or tan cattails or snow. This was back when video cameras were as big as a Beagle and balanced on your shoulder only shooting BLACK AND WHITE picture (remember?)
This seem to be a revelation to Russ because the 110's stood out from surrounding weeds.
He started painting his 110's Tan color and put a few small brown marks on the Tan to create a camo'd 110. By painting his traps Tan, he began to take Mink on a consistence basis on land. I think at this time frame Russ began to use thin wire strung between the trigger wires to increase catch, as you mentioned.

So I painted a few 110's and did the trigger wire and caught Mink. But my Mink style changed by then.

Am sure the 55's will work for you because they were designed for Mink.
I would consider painting your Conibears Tan with brownish spots to break up outline if used for Mink.
Learn as much about Mink as you can. They do have trails and habits which may take some time to learn.

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 04:41:42 PM »
Appreciate the feedback Hern. I boiled my 110s off and have them hanging and actually considered painting them so your reply backs that thought. I'm mixed on the box approach. Seems somewhat unneeded. I do however like the wire or mono modification...should work well with the camo'd paint.. I did see a set where the guy used a slightly longer box, open on either end with a 110 on each entrance/exit and placed it in the water of a small feeder stream.. His claim was that the mink would enter these boxes without the aid of bait/scent..just more or less to investigate or rest or whatever.. definitely lots to consider and learn but thats the part I love and try to thrive on..as far as the 55s go, I should probably use what I have for now and see how it goes and if a situation arises where these might serve me better. Thanks again.
PPHA President

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 06:06:09 PM »
Quattro, am working on a set using the 55's. Not my idea, but some guys thinking how to use these little killers in an unconventional way for Mink. I didn't get the bugs worked out last season or made enough kills to comment yet. Am planning to test this set this season and let you know then.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:50:39 AM »
 ;) Mink are fun critters to catch...I remember where I caught my first one, I was about 12 years old and caught it in a run that went between two ponds. Hey I thought I had caught a million dollars, and still have an old black and white picture of it on my gun safe.....life is good and the experiences are sometimes priceless  8)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member