Author Topic: 204 Ruger  (Read 9899 times)

verminator

204 Ruger
« on: December 29, 2009, 06:31:02 PM »
Anybody using a 204 for coyote or fox ? If so any pet loads you would like to share ? 

uncle buck

Re: 204 Ruger
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 11:44:42 PM »
Nope only use the 204 for coyotes or chucks...Never would even think of uisng it on a fox.. So far I only use factory ammo.. Since you can get a box for about $17.00....32 grainers and they shoot well....

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 01:39:43 PM »
I use a 204 for coyote and have shot a few fox with it because I just can't let them walk.  Sometimes gets messy, espescially side shots in the chest.  On occaision I get a clean kill though.

I like Uncle Buck only shoot Factory loads so can't help you much there.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

verminator

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 12:18:26 AM »
Thanks for the input, I am trying to find info on Blue dot powder for reduced loads for the 204 now. Will be going out with Leglifter Friday and Saturday nights gonna take the 204, Trying some loads I just finished tonight in the morning, hope to test on fur after dark.

Offline war_nrg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 02:05:55 PM »
Greetings,
Just got a 204 myself, have not shot it yet.  Got the reloading dies, some brass and ordered BR 4 primers,  32 g and 39g seirra blitz king bullets.  looking at using IMR 4198 for the 32 g pills and H322 for the 39 ers.  I'll let you know how they shoot in a couple weeks.  Please let us know what your loading up and how its working.  My gun is a savage 1-12 twist, 22" barrel
Cheers,
Cheers,
Bill

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 03:50:20 PM »
Will be going out with Leglifter Friday and Saturday nights

Keep your camera handy, I know LL does. ;D

Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

verminator

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 04:23:17 PM »
Yeah I always have it with me, Learned that when I didn't have the cell phone pics were not worth a darn. I just shot some of the loads I did last night. The hornady's shot better than the Sierra's  32 gr vmax with 28 grs of Varget coal was 2.62 touched holes at 100 yds  40 gr vmax with 27.5 grs of Varget with a coal of 2.257 has the exact POI as the 32's  The 39 gr Blitzkings still shot good but they grouped at .75 inches at 100 that was 26.2 grs of Varget and a coal of 2.277 These were out of a TC Pro Hunter           Let me know if you guys hear of any Blue Dot powder loads  I hear it makes a 204 or 223 close to a 22 mag for fur damage I found some for 22-250 but not for 204   Thanks

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 06:25:56 PM »
204 is an outstanding calliber. I have made clean one shot kills on groundhogs out to 400 yards. Anything past that is pushing it. I use a 32 grain vmax bullet. This caliber should smoke a fox or coyote.

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
Try the Reduced = (RED) Load Brand and Type Powder that is in your reloading charts for the 204 Ruger.  Cross reference a Factory Rem or Win catalog ammo section. It give you the muzzle velocities for the factory ammo.. Your reloading data gives you the velocities the powder will produce.. Use only the powder that the velocities are less then the factory velocities in the factory ammo catalog for the same grain bullet.. Best bet.....REDUCED load might be a good starting point for a good fur load for the 204 Ruger...

Offline DaveyC

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 08:47:49 AM »
There's a vid on youtube with a guy in canada droppin a yote at 502 yards with a .204.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn4X25ZjJKE

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 04:08:48 PM »
a 204 Ruger is OK for coyotes but not fox.  17 center fires are good for  everything  from chucks to and including coyotes. Chuck hunting is now something I look forward too now that I use a 17 Rem CF. 

Scott did bring a good point when it comes to gun selection.  Choose  a gun that your comfortable with... Me... I don't care much to be carrying a 17 Rem in a heavy varmint barrel when I am hunting fox.  Add deep snow and the varmint rig gets heavier yet...
Me I shoot LH so if I am not mistaken Rem LH 17 Fireballs are heavy barrels.. If I was going to order a 17 FB.  I would elect to have a Standard shorten Encore maybe a 22 incher istead of a 24  inch barrel.  However I would turn around an use a heavy 26 inch barreled Encore Varmint barrel in the 17 REM CF to hunt chucks.

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 07:11:17 PM »
I just read something interesting in one of the gun books..They said that with some 223 AR's that the 55 grain  bullets separate and key hole.  This is due to the different rates of twist in 223 barrels that are available.. Make sure you do your home work when buying an AR in the 223 and might be better to get a varmint model instead of a tactical model AR.

Reason I am posting this on the 204 post is... Maybe under the circumstances it would be better to get an AR in the 204 calibers instead of the 223.  Figure bullet is 20 cal...Sure probably not made for tactical reason...Has to be one of the varmint barrels if it's a 204 Ruger.
Anyway...Make sure if you do get to use an AR someday in Pa that you make sure you understand the proper rate of twist thing... Me... Now I would want it for killing coyotes or chucks so I sure would not want a tactical type 223 barrel...However there is the deer thing  to..
Best to sit down an ask yourself what am I going to use this AR for.  Me right now I would elect to have a 204 Ruger in an AR..however not sure if Stag who makes the only LH AR that are less $$$$$$would even sale the LH AR in 204 Ruger. Also would make sure that if I did buy a 223 that it was not a tactical rate of twist...
Interesting 223 bullets splitting apart in some AR's  and key holing. 

Offline DaveyC

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 09:39:19 PM »
UncleBuck, regarding the .204 in an AR and Stag not offering one. You always could just replace the barrel with a heavy or medium heavy contour from Shilen or I see that they even offer barrels in 17 Rem. for the ARs. It wouldn't be a huge deal to modify it the way you want it. The .204 barrel from Shilen is a 1:9 twist, identical to the Les Baer. Les Baer guarantees at least 1/2 MOA or better or your money back. They send 2 targets with 5 shot groups showing their accuracy.
Les Baer stresses that their .204 chambers are only designed for Hornady ammo, to allow for tighter tolerances and greater accuracy.
That's why my gun would be a Les Baer if they were legalized. They stand by their product and know that it is a top performer, and will give ANY bolt gun a run for their money!

Offline Yotestalker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 06:54:28 PM »
My friend has a savage model 10 predator in 204 and let me tell ya it is an awesome gun...
i reload for him and found that 35gr berger bullets with 26 grains of 10x powder is a really accurate load...
plus its a hollow point there isn"t anything getting away from that

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 07:22:54 PM »
The second half of the reduced subsonic loads article in predator extreme is out.