Author Topic: Calling Competition and Drawing Results.  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Calling Competition and Drawing Results.
« on: February 18, 2012, 02:14:33 PM »
Here are the results you all have been waiting on.  They will be posted on the home page in a day.  I would like to thank all who bought tickets for supporting the PPHA and making this one of the most successful raffles the PPHA has ever held.  Please consider purchasing tickets for our new gun raffle.  Details to be posted shortly.

I would also like to thank all the volunteers that helped at the show and all of the officers who helped out behind the scenes.  I could not do it with out you all.

A special thanks to the calling competitors for keeping Pennsylvania on the leading edge of predator calling competitions.  Look for some exciting new changes next year.  Last but not least a very, very special thanks to the hardest working man in the PPHA, our secretary Justin Millinder.  Justin will be a very busy man for a while.  Thanks Justin!

East Coast Predator Showdown Results

Distress Division
  Champion - Nathan Wingert - Pennsylvania
  Runner Up - Al Morris - Utah

Coyote Division
  Champion - Jason Groseclose - Virginia
  Runner Up - Duffey Statler - Pennsylvania

All Around Division
  Champion - Jason Groseclose - Virginia

"Everything But The Gun"
 Raffle Drawing Results

Congratulations to: Mike Chrostousk from New York
Mike had ticket number 2421.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: Calling Competition and Drawing Results.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
Tim
I was not able to enter or make it to the sports show or calling contest this year. How many callers were there this year.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Team Howler

• Junior Forum Member
    • Lycoming Fence Company LLC (Personal Business)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:42:40 PM »
Great job to the calling winners!
Hunt safely!
District 3
Matt Brown
Arsenal: Savage Model 12 22-250, Tikka T3 lite Stainless .233, Ruger model 77 mark II .243, Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25/06
Tools
FoxPro Firestorm w/ Fox Jack, Kill Light 250 and 100, Various Hand Calls

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 10:53:41 AM »
Only five competitors this year.  Had six but lost one.  Some of the usuals were not competing this year. 

We are seeing a downward trend in calling numbers and not just in PA.  I have a plan to hopefully help next year.

On a side note we received very good reviews and comments from people in the industry that would like us to continue the competition.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 12:39:59 PM »
Tim
Thanks, I know it seams like it is not a big deal to a lot of predator hunters but just to the callers. Look at the world calling contest in 2008 there were 27 people competing. Now look at the last world completion we competed in there were I think there were only 7 or 8 competing. I am not sure there is a fix to the trend. I think that is why they stopped haveing them in the 60s and 70s. Big pay outs in money might keep some competing, but not sure that would work when big money comes into play. I would like to here the ideas that you say are floating around though, I would like to see it continue also.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 07:50:44 PM »
No one is entering the contests because it costs too much to enter when you know you're calling against some of the best callers in the country. I'm not dropping hundreds of dollars to call against any of the guys that are in the competitions we've had. For 20 dollars a division I may get in the competition, but not for 75 a division like the competition we just had. I think the guys were talking about lowering the entry fee in order to get more people out and have a bigger collection of callers. They may not all be awesome callers, but I think it will help out the sport grow. Maybe still have the high stake entry fee's for a seperate division, for highier stake prizes. I would compete for a lesser prize for a lesser fee.
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 08:29:10 PM »
Critterslayer51
You know it might be just that simple. You are absultly right it cost me $150 last year to just call in the east coast event,  I was lucky to enough to win my entrance money back but no real gain for the money spent. I too have to think if it is worth $150 to enter the contest and a day off work with out pay for a title. It sure does not take long to rack up a lot of money on a gamble for a title that does not really get a person any real Benifitts other then to use the title to help sell a few more predator calls, heck the winning caller may not even make and sell calls.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 09:22:59 PM »
Man did this post get derailed or what!Congratulations to all that had the nerve to give it a shot!

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 01:21:27 PM »
Sorry if I helped hijack the thread, you're right, thanks to all that entered and congratulations to the guys that did go out there. I was just stating for people like me that are young in calling compared to you guys, wouldn't put that kind of money out there for a competition when money is as tight as it is.
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 07:59:20 PM »
Sorry too if it looks like a hijacked post, I too would like to thank every one that helped the club especially to all that give there volunteered time that they give so much of. Also a big congrats to all the calling contest winners. Also a real big thanks to Tim for all his hard work.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle