Author Topic: Saw a Jeep Commercial made sense but is it really?  (Read 2022 times)

uncle buck

Saw a Jeep Commercial made sense but is it really?
« on: December 23, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
Would like to see your comments on this...

Jeep commercial today on the tube..  Something to the effect that 4 X 4's that have the front and back wheels closer together have better traction then a  4 X 4 with front and back wheels farther apart.. So if this is the case???? Would a shorter bed pickup truck with 4 X 4 designation be better for rough terrain then one of those massive pickup trucks with cab and an 8 foot bed???????

I understand that Jeep would like you to buy an SUV instead of a pick up truck..But just say you would rather have a pick up truck..Could it be better to get one with a shortbed vs a longbed... I still like the idea of the cab in a pickup truck...or should one be buying an SUV instead of a pickup truck?????   

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Saw a Jeep Commercial made sense but is it really?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 04:41:16 AM »
The average predator caller does not go in ruff enough spots most of the time to be buying a offroad vehicle suited for ruff stuff.  Wished i would have took pics of sme of the stuff I was in this weekend.  But yes a smaller vehicle is easier to go offroad in.  Jeeps have higher approach and departure angles along with most things tucked up in the frame to keep them out of harms way.  Smaller vehicles are easier to turn around in tight places as well.  The bronco II i drive is perfect.  Small enough to go most anywhere you prob shouldnt be and big enough to carry extra gear.  The wranglers are not big enough for two guys and their gear.  The cherokees would be nice.  Along with the s10 blazers chevy made.  Biggest thing is to make sure it is structrually sound.amd the four wheel drive works well.  And keep a set of chains a small shovel and either road salt or kitty litter in the truck.  Go prepared.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 08:09:44 AM »
there are trade offs when it comes to 4x4s.  short wheel bases are good for deep woods and hilly terrain the down side they are not a comfortable ride and they have a tendencey to flip.    long wheel bases ride better and can haul more stuff. 

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 08:50:06 AM »
I have a Jeep Liberty and like it. 65,ooo miles and no problems. Great unit for hunting and plenty of room.

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »
Notice AAA magazine had a article on four  4 X 4 they road tested...  One a Land Rover... What was the cost of that $65.00  one of the other cost $90,000.    Nuts you can buy a hunting cabin with land for that price...Even one for $35,000 is still nuts..