Author Topic: The 3 1/2 inch chambered shotguns? IYO do they all kick like mules?  (Read 1940 times)

uncle buck

I have a friend who worked with me at Basspro.. He purchased on of the cheaper special 3 1/2 Magnum 870 shotgun.  He told me the recoil was unbearable... I guess they were pushing these gun for about $275.00.. Hey you get what you pay for I suppose...
I do have a Benelli SBE 2.. I have shot the 3 1/2 shells in that and it kicks but it's bearable..  Of course it has all the shock reducer in the stock.
I do use Deadcoyote  3 1/2 inch T shot when I'm seriously hunting coyotes in the SBE 2..
Recently I read that the 10 Gauge is far superior to the 12 gauge 3 1/2.. You just can't find the right shot in 10 gauge.  However I did see that Hevishot is selling a 10 gauge Deadcoyote Hevishot load of # 4 Buckshot..This will allow the  coyote hunters to have one heck of a gun to wallop coyotes..
Most times I use 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells when I hunt predators...However from time to time... If you wanted to hunt turkey or geese or ducks, or coyotes..It's just good to be able to shoot the 3 1/2 shells if you desire..I wish I owned a Remington SPS 10 but I don't.  I do have a 10 gauge single shot NEF and that really isn't to bad to shoot either...Seems when I'm hunting and shooting at a fox and or coyote... I don't even feel the recoil since I am so much into the predator coming to the call moment..

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: The 3 1/2 inch chambered shotguns? IYO do they all kick like mules?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 10:32:16 PM »
UB, I use a Browning BPS 12 guage when I shoot the the 3 1/2" hevi-weight Dead coyote T's that gun will put a bruise on your cheek if you're not holding on for dear life.  ;D ;D
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 11:14:55 PM »
from everything I have read on the 3 1/2" mags that most gun manufactures have it wrong.  The whole idea behind the 3 1/2 mag was to have as many pellets as a 10ga.  when you try forcing so many pellets down the barrel of a smaller ga gun sometimes you do not get the results you want.  I believe this is why mossberg bores their barrels to 10ga specs.  I actually shoot 2 3/4 whinchester #4 buck most of the time.  it patterns better then the current offereings in 3" outta my guns. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 11:17:56 PM »
At paper they'll rock your world, however at a desired animal there's nothing to it, and I'm 6'3 137lbs.

Ryan.
District 4