Author Topic: 2 inches high or right on dead center at 100 yards..  (Read 3114 times)

uncle buck

2 inches high or right on dead center at 100 yards..
« on: March 01, 2016, 12:13:25 AM »
I have learned many things from the predator hunters on here... E. Wilson..  Sometime Ernie will talk and things just go into my computer brain... I was talking about how I always sighted my rifle in for predator hunting at 2 inches high at 100 yards... Ernie said to me:  "Those 17 center fires shoot real flat why would you set your point of impact at  2  inches high...  I thought about what he said and he was so right... Wow have I started connecting on predators now... 100 yards dead center in the bullseye.. That where I sight my guns in now.. All my guns, predator and big game guns.. Figure most scopes now are BDC. If I want to make a Hail of Mary shot I can use the BDC dots inside the scope to shoot beyond  100 yards... Also most of my predators are now shot a soon as they entered the  100 yard quadrant or less... Sometimes 65-100 yards is what I like to let one rip.   So listen to E. Wilson... You start to set you sight  2 inches high to cover every your close and far shots and your really just hurting yourself... Also get away from that freehand stuff too.. You need a tripod, you need to stand up so you can see on the horizon, and your 100 yard shots will improve...Night shooting is tough even with a shotgun... Steady yourself and think about where you kill zones are for your rifling and set your sight there..

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: 2 inches high or right on dead center at 100 yards..
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 04:25:32 AM »
I'm the same way.  If most of my shooting is around 100 yards,  it only makes sense to be dead nut on at 100 yards.  If I'm aiming center mass on the head of a fox,  even if it's out at 150 yards, the bullet is still going to drop in with a kill shot.   I've had a hard time convincing other hunters of my line of thinking.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 02:08:37 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D It's also known as knowing your gun and your abilities... :o :o :o :o to each his own...I know where my impact is...but you don't... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 08:06:29 AM »
 :) I know where my impact is...but you don't... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\   :) I didn't know you had a point of impact and I'm your partner  :P ...Is this the same as "Where the Rubber meets the Road"?   :-\ :-\ :-\ What else aren't you divulging ????????????? >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(....................... 8)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 08:11:53 AM »
 ;) ;) ;) Don't pick up my toys and expect them to do what you think they will do  :o :o :o :o Only in the hands of the Master will they perform flawlessly  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) It's like those 5" shells we shot in the Navy  :o :o :o :o :o point of impact  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:20:45 AM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 07:21:59 PM »
Beware of the one gun man... Me I'm not a one gun man.. Wow I jump around... So by playing the 2 inch high on every gun or 1 inch high the old mind starts to forget ... Now is this a  2 inch high rifle or is this a 1 inch high... All guns set at  dead center at  100 yards have increased my kills...  None of that wondering game when your out there and in comes a predator... That's why I like Encore... When I shoulder the Encore for deer or predators it always feels like the same rifle... But playing the Hail of Mary game with different calibers can be down right frustrating...

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 09:19:41 PM »
It all comes down to knowing what toy you are using for what critter ::) ::) ::) UB you have more barrels for that contender than most folks have guns....so point of impact be it dead on, high, low, left or right...it's a matter of knowing what you are using...it's your tool, so you should know how to use it or stay home!! Range time is a must for all!!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:21:08 PM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member