Author Topic: Wonder why ammo mfg never make a fur friendly round?  (Read 4685 times)

uncle buck

Wonder why ammo mfg never make a fur friendly round?
« on: February 25, 2016, 03:08:08 PM »
Look at the shotgun and bullet industry.. they have loads tailored for everything.. Hogs, reduced recoil, 22 RF bullets that split into  4 pieces.. I do reload my own shells all the time.. If I buy a certain cal I always buy dies and stock up on the brass too.. Many times I don't even get around to reloading because factory shoots well but if they ever take a cal  away I want to make sure I have cases avail.. However Would be nice if ammo mfg would take a few of the predator cal and make a fur friendly factory round for them.. Let say  223.  204 Ruger,  22250.  Maybe the bullet how it works when it strikes or even a reduced load that will give most gun at least a  1 to 1 1/2  inch groups.

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Wonder why ammo mfg never make a fur friendly round?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 09:43:50 PM »
Agreed
Due to price increase in ammo,,,,,,,,,,,,,there will be no warning shots

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 10:51:57 PM »
I hate to say this...but think about what you are asking for....One critter has tough skin, the next has very thin skin, the next has fat build up you need to penetrate...OOOPS! you pull a bad shot and hit bone....take a fly swatter it will work on all species the same... :P :P :P :P :P What I'm getting at is that there is no one gun/cal./bullet that fits everything...think about it!!  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:02:06 PM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 01:06:48 AM »
Of all my guns.. It's my sons Marlin 22 WMR bolt action gun that has anchored and harvested the most game without destruction of the fur... I read an article about how great the 22 WMR is if you use the right bullet.  I have talked about the Winchester 45 grain Dynapoints before.  People hate them say they don't shoot well in their guns... I have  the 22 WMR sighted in for  dead center at  100 yards... I do kill fox at the  60-100 yard mark and they die right there... Now if I do wound them they don't run away.. See that 45 grain bullet is not a HP nor is it a VMAX.. It's a sold copper cover chunk of lead... It goes deep into the fox. None of the blowing up on the surface.. .There are two drawbacks to using the Winchester 45 grain Dynapoints... If the fox gets past the 60 yard mark and gets close I have missed them at close ranges... Also I hate to say it but this is what you hear sometime when you use this bullet.  Z.................................ING. and we all know what that means... I have never shot at a coyote with this gun or bullet.. Not that I wouldn't.  Since it drives deep into the animal if shot in the right spot I do think it would anchor the coyote if shot in or near the right vital... Would I call this the all around predator gun? No... But it sure does anchor the red fox at that right distance..  I wonder if people are shooting them close and like me not getting a good arc on them at close range. However at the range I posted above they are lethal and a good anchor bullet..  My groups are just that... They group in this gun about 1 inch and when you have a gun group like that at  100 yards your going to anchor them, (fox)  if you get a hit on them in the vital.  https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=winchester+45+dynapoints&qpvt=winchester+45+dynapoints&qpvt=winchester+45+dynapoints&FORM=IGRE
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:14:22 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 06:58:14 AM »
Now we have fox covered ...what about the rest of the critters??  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? not just one gun for all  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 09:29:07 AM »
I would think they could make a bullet for fox and coyote in calibers from the .17s to 223.   it would take a lot of product research and testing but I bet it could be done.   problem I see is that it would be profitable for the manufactures..   take a look at shotgun predator loads, hardly any out there and nothing compared to turkey loads and steel shot..   

you can't even buy 10ga 4buck...   that load would be a coyote killer for sure..  10ga 4 buck using a patternmaster choke tube would kill a coyote at 75 yards.   I shoot lead bbs out of the 10ga and they are thing of the past..   I would like to shoot #2 lead but can't find that anymore..   
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:25:55 AM by scott »

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 09:56:50 AM »
Scott, I would recommend you start going to gun shows and looking over the ammo there  :o :o :o :o :o there can be some interesting stuff found if you are willing to look!
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 10:28:33 AM »
I will have to start looking there......   the gun shop I go to will set aside all the 10ga shells he takes on trade..  I also found some old stuff here and there...  I have some at the house that are old cardboard in 2 3/4 6 shot,   not sure how old they are but I won't shoot them..   

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 11:36:08 AM »
The 17 Rem with 25 grain hollow points is hard to beat for everything we hunt in pa.
The bullet type is the key for this Cal.
The 17 hornet is a close second. It would be first but is just a little slow on coyotes.
Both these are great on solid body shots. If you are a head shooter any small cal. works
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 03:46:21 PM »
 ;) ;) ;) There ya got it!! everybody go out and buy a 17 Remington...Bang Flop!! :o :o :o :o :o NAH!! ??? ??? ???  Pops pockets aren't that deep!!  :P :P :P :P And while it works for one, it may not work for another  ??? ??? ??? shot placement and the speed you are pushing that bullet also come into play.. :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ Factory or reloads?? Brand X or Brand Y??
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 04:59:50 PM »
There will never be a perfect cartage and bullet type for fur but the 17 rem is what I use for fur. I will never be looking for a set up to beat this. For fox the 17 hornet with hollow point is a little better but you can not reach out as far and if a coyote shows up it will work but you will be just a little under gunned. The 17 rem has not let me down. But on coyotes a bigger gun is better. But the 17 Rem and 25 gr hollow point is as close a top to bottom caliber fur fur as you can get.
Goosebumps keep what you have and save your money. You will need it to buy breakfast.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 06:21:48 PM »
 ;) ;) ;) ;) Thanx Ernesto  :o :o :o :o just trying to make a point that one gun doesn't do it all, all the time and to each his own  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X my money is in glass these days with these old eyes... :P :P :P :P :P
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 06:23:59 PM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 08:28:11 PM »
Actually if you use a tripod like the Ranger and your 22 WMR is sighted in at  100 yards.. A head shot to that coyote it's dead...  Again the deeper you can drive a  22 WMR it's going to kill bigger game...Stay away from VMAX and even HP... I really didn't want to say this because people would think I was nuts.. The person that wrote the article stressed that the  22 WMR with a deep driving bullet could kill a cougar with them.. Now I ain't going for cougar with a  22 WMR.. What was neat was he had a chart of all the  22 WMR ammo out there and showed how deep each one would go in. The Win 45 grain Dynapoints was one that was rated to anchor pretty much everything...